• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damaged Section of Bumper... No Need to Repaint the Whole Bumper?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Section of Bumper... No Need to Repaint the Whole Bumper?!

So I heard from my prior body shop technician that when a section of the panel's paint is damaged (scuffs, dmg from accident, etc), he needs to strip the entire paint from the panel and repaint it again. He cannot simply paint the section because the color would not match with the rest of the panel. Also, he says that he does a "fade" on the sides of the panel so that it can blend into the next panel. Back then, I believed him cause I knew nothing about paint care, but now that I thought about it, and especially after I watched the video below, I begin to question his genuineness... Perhaps he's a money muncher...

http://www.bumpertime.com in San Diego / North County | Temecula | Riverside offers nothing less than high quality and perfect bumper paint scratch repair. S...

To those that know about automotive paint jobs, are the technician's words credible? I've always thought that when a section is damaged, I can basically tape up the section that's not damaged and only expose the damaged section, sand it down, primer, paint, wetsand, polish. Perhaps the reason the technician said that was because he is not an auto detailer?

Re: Damaged Section of Bumper... No Need to Repaint the Whole Bumper?!

A lot of what he said is true. But it also depends on the color of the vehicle you are repainting and what part of the vehicle. Try matching a section of GM's Black metallic flake on the new trucks, it would be almost impossible. Detailing the vehicle has almost nothing to do with matching the new paint to the old.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');