• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pain and gain of working by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pain and gain of working by hand

This past weekend I decided to work on my wife's 2008 GMC Acadia. This wonderful vehicle is painted in a metallic black finish that to my wfie's eyes looked almost brown and to my dad's eyes it looked more grey than black. I will outline how it all went down by each step.

1. Clay bar -- Here I used TW Ice Clay bar kit since it was the cheapest I could find. After washing and drying the SUV I began to use the clay bar. After doing the first section I could not believe The stuff that came off. The easiest way to describe it was a brown look on the light blue clay bar. The shock and awe had begun.
    2. Ultimate compound -- I Don't know if words can do this stuff justice. I worked first on one section where there was some oxidation, swirls and scratches. After the final wipe my jaw dropped -- everything and I mean everything was gone. I worked the UC in by hand for about two minutes each section of the vehicle taking into consideration not to do too large of a spot and I could not believe my eyes. Never, and I mean NEVER have I seen such a dramatic difference when using just one single product.
    3. Deep Crystal Polish -- I had never used a polish before and I must say this was a lot of fun to use. To see the difference in how the vehicle looked after applying the polish I can say without question that the extra step is so worth the time and effort to do.
    4. Tech Wax 2.0 -- Never and i mean NEVER have I used so little wax, applied it and removed it so effortlessly as I did with the TW 2.0. My wife came outside to see what i was doing and all she could say was WOW.

This whole process took approximately 9 hours to do -- all done by hand (large amounts of Advil were needed once the day was done). The results are fantastic as the Acadia now had a deep, wet black look that is already turning heads.

I just want to give my thanks to all you guys here on the forums, and the guys in Meguiar's customer support for providing the information and techniques I needed to get the vehicle from drab to fab. As of right now I am officially a Meguiar's convert.
    Seeing their heads turn as you drive by is payment enough.

Re: The pain and gain of working by hand

You finished an Acadia in 9 hours by hand? That is truly awesome. By machine, I'm not sure I could have done a vehicle of that size in the same amount of time. Great job! Please post photos if you took any.

Comment

Great summary! I find dark metallic colors really benefit from removal of swirls and oxidation.

Completely agree with you that Ultimate Compound is a great product - the more I use it the more I'm impressed with it.

Please post pix of your work.
      Andy W.
      Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
      Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

I have used Ult Compound too and was VERY impressed by results. Sounds like your vehicle had heavy Oxidation.

I used this on the wing of a 1999 Trans Am with Navy Blue Met. Paint. Here is the diff. The ONLT thing I had not done is verify if this took care of swirls. By the look of the pic it did but it was not an easy job by any means. I def needed to work some elbow grease.

Comment

BlackScreaminMachine

Your 1st picture really shows how a oxidation & swirls completely hide the appearance of a dark metallic.

Was the paint correction done by hand or with a machine?
          Andy W.
          Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
          Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Congrats. That is a big job by hand. I am sure it looks fantastic.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Wow. It took me 8 hours to do a Civic by hand with M105, D151, topped with GCW. I can't imagine doing that on a Acadia! Nice work!

Comment

Very awesome results by what youre saying. I applaud you on that....9 hours of hand work....phheewwwww. I recently did my step-dads 2007 Ram 2500 quad cab and it was just 5 hours. I just did UC and Tech Wax 2.0.

Your process is exactly what I always tell people how to establish the solid base coat whenever Im asked how to get started.
                Shane
                Cardomain ยท HINcity

Comment

Originally posted by bmrfan View Post
                  BlackScreaminMachine

Your 1st picture really shows how a oxidation & swirls completely hide the appearance of a dark metallic.

Was the paint correction done by hand or with a machine?
                  By Hand. Ult. Compound + Terry Cloth + Elbow Grease = Results.

I just so happended to tape to see the difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');