• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Grade of Fuel Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Grade of Fuel Do You Use?

Some say they provide advantages, others say the premium does nothing. Which do you use?
    Regular: 87 Octane
    41.51%
    Premium: 89 Octane
    7.55%
    Super: 91-93
    50.94%
    Matt

Re: Which Grade of Fuel Do You Use?

Regular seems to burn faster than premium in the SS. I stick with 89 octane or above.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
      Some say they provide advantages, others say the premium does nothing. Which do you use?
      It all depends on your engine's compression ratio. Higher compression engines need higher octane fuel to avoid autoignition. If you are not getting autoignition with the fuel grade you are using, then moving up to a higher octane is simply a waste of money.

It's not as simple as saying higher octane is better or worse. It's more of a question of whether or not it is needed for your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
        It all depends on your engine's compression ratio. Higher compression engines need higher octane fuel to avoid autoignition. If you are not getting autoignition with the fuel grade you are using, then moving up to a higher octane is simply a waste of money.

It's not as simple as saying higher octane is better or worse. It's more of a question of whether or not it is needed for your engine.
        Agreed.

Engines are tuned for a specific octane of fuel - running a higher octane fuel than your engine specifies can even be harmful.

Some engines (newer cars) have intelligent computers which will retard or advance timing based on the fuel provided, allowing the use of E85, 87,, 91 or 93 octane fuels to be used in the same car - BUT - most do not.

Comment

Yeah, best to do what the manual says.

Mine just wants regular, some only want higher.

My dad's car has the variable timing for the grades of gas, but not sure if he has really compared the differences.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Stick to what the manual states. I burn regular.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I use regular, but I use Top Teir Gasoline , which in my case is Shell.

Comment

93 in the truck and 87 in everything else.

Comment

I use aviation fuel.

Comment

The Fit doesn't like anything but Regular!

Cat :x

Comment

I use 95 octane, which is the standard in Iceland, I also have the option of using V-Power which is 99 octane.

Comment

Originally posted by GudniMar View Post
                        I use 95 octane, which is the standard in Iceland, I also have the option of using V-Power which is 99 octane.
                        Iceland sure is an interesting country. Well ahead of it's time.

BTW, my grandparents were born in Iceland. I'd love to visit some day.

Comment

Twin Turbo BMW = Top Teir Premium. Shell or Chevron only.

Engine de-carb at the dealer is like $500.
                          Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Comment

Since I drive a Porsche Cayenne, I get better gas mileage from the Premium grade stuff. It does have the ping adjustment, but I've tried both Super and Premium and the higher octane goes farther (and faster!).
                            Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post

Test for yourself and you'll see.

There s huge difference between 91, 95 and 98 octanes here in Australia.

Recently 10% ethanol was introduced here. A car goes like a **** and spends 25% more petrol.

When I compare 91 and 98 on my bikes, the bike is not puling when using 91 .. huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');