• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxes removing clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxes removing clear coat?

When a car is waxed, is a tiny layer of the clear coat being removed from the paint?

Re: Waxes removing clear coat?

Well, how technical do you want to get....

Anything that touches the paint will remove a few molecules, including water, blowing air, fingers, leaves, etc.

However, it is not like a strong cleaning step where a layer of paint is removed to fix scratches, swirls, etc.

The few molecules removed waxing will be much less than the molecules removed from the paint being exposed to the elements unprotected.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It won't especially from pure wax but All-in-One product/cleaner wax with abrasive material will at some level. But if you do it by hand, no worry even doing it monthly with cleaner wax will still be safe for clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwaxer View Post
        When a car is waxed, is a tiny layer of the clear coat being removed from the paint?
        I have never come across any experimental data to support a conclusion one way or another. We are all just guessing at this point. My personal, worthless guess is no. I doubt that either the solvents within the wax or the friction generated by the application and removal of the wax will remove even a tiny layer of clearcoat. But as is usually the case in such questions, I'm probably wrong. Cleaner waxes, as noted, are a different matter.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

ummmmmmm if you do so with a cutting pad maybe .... if you use a polishing pad, most likely not and probably not even with a paint gauge.
          Dont sweat it if your using a true wax as they dont contain any abrasives .... now an AIO product like 151 yes you will be removing some clear coat as it does contain some abrasives

Comment

Just wax with something nice and smooth Gold Class, or NXT will be fine. Not to say that there aren't others, there are loads in fact, but this is the Meguiars forum. Use some fine microfiber cloths to apply and remove (again, not to say that you couldn't use a DA, that's just what I do).

Comment

Hi-Tech #26 won't remove any paint for sure, and looks great.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');