• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of these prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of these prices?

I have handed out these prices to several people around the neighborhood looking to have there cars detailed and they have not contacted me since and it has been several weeks. These neighbors only found out about my side business because they see me working on my cars and a few other cars every so often. I don't think my prices are outrageous at all but maybe the detailer in town (who washes with large brusghes......) charges less or something. Every time I ask the guy for a price list or a choice of options he looks at me strangely as if I am speaking another language. The people I have done work with have been overly satisfied with my work. Anyway, tell me what you guys think.

This is not my brochure I give out, just a price list.

Quick Detailà Starting at $100à Total time of 3-5 hours
    v Professional, scratch free car wash includes body, wheels, wheel wells and inside of the wheel

v Use of a clay bar to remove bonded contaminants and give the paint that smooth as glass feeling (necessary to achieve quality results)
    v Use of an All-In-One (removes mild swirls, polishes and waxes) product on all painted exterior surfaces via professional dual-action polisher
    v Quick interior clean which includes a vacuum, light cleaning and dressing of interior surfaces, light leather cleaning
    v Dressing of all exterior trim and tires
    v Glass cleaning
    v Price is increased depending on size of the vehicle ($100 is the price for a small vehicle such as a Honda Civic)

Ultimate Detailà Starting at $200à Needs 2 days
    v Includes the Quick Detail with several upgrades
    v Full scratch and swirl removal on exterior painted surfaces involving a 2-3 step process depending on severity of scratches and age of paint
    v Full interior clean involving deep carpet cleaning and stain removal, cleaning of all hard surfaces, leather cleaning and conditioning
    v Trunk vacuum and cleaning
    v 2 coats of a premium carnauba-blend wax
    v Price is increased depending on size of the vehicle ($200 is the base price for a car the size of a Honda Civic)

Interior Cleaningà Starting at $50à Time is dependent on condition of interior
    v Involves carpet cleaning and stain removal
    v Cleaning and dressing of all hard surfaces
    v Cleaning/Conditioning of leather
    v Price is dependent on size of vehicle, condition of interior and amount of cleaning desired
    v Must conference before pricing

Exterior CleaningàStarting at $75àTime is dependent on severity of damage and amount of correction desired
    v Must conference before pricing
    v Includes a professional car wash
    v Use of a premium carnauba-blend wax

Professional Car WashàStarting at $25
    v Price may increase depending on vehicle size
    v Professional, scratch-free wash with premium items

Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Re: What do you guys think of these prices?

Sounds more than fair to me! Perhaps you should go ahead and do a small test spot on your neighbors cars and show them what you can do to make their paint look better?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post

I have handed out these prices to several people around the neighborhood looking to have there cars detailed and they have not contacted me since and it has been several weeks.

It can be a tough sell. It's not like someone who goes into a retail store with the intentions of buying something they already have their mind set on, you have to sell yourself, and your skills. You have to show them what you are about, what you have to offer, and most important, what detailing is all about.

Nine out of ten times, when someone says they are going to call you, they won't. In the world of sales, you have to be assertive, and aggressive to an extent. You also have to listen to what a prospective client has to say. Listening to a prospect is a big part of sales, because people like to be listened to. Although you have to listen to what your prospect has to say, you have to know when to go in for the kill. In other words, you have to ask for the sale. You don't have to ask directly, but maybe use anecdotes to suggest the sale, without making it totally obvious you are asking for a sale, but you are indeed asking for a sale.

If someone says they will take you up on your offer in two weeks, maybe they really mean it, but most of the time, if you can't close a sale right then and there, it's likely not going to happen. Try to get a commitment in two days, at the end of the week, or heck, how about right now?

Try to get your prospect to commit. If a prospect agree's to a commitment, have them sign a contract, get a down payment, a credit card deposit, or anything that locks the sale in. I know I may be making it sound easy, but we all know that making a sale is not always easy. If you want to survive as a detailer, (for profit) you will have to hone your sales skills, and be at least a little bit aggressive. Also, you have to be able to know when someone is wasting your time, and know when to walk (run) away, and move on to the next prospect. I may sound harsh, but that's how you make money in the world of sales.

I assume you are licensed and insured, and have contracts.

Sell baby sell!!!

Comment

I don't plan on doing this as my main source of profit but more of a side business just to make a few bucks. I am not licensed, neither insured nor have contracts. I am only 18 and am only looking to make some extra cash for college. I will do my best being more of a salesman.

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
        Sounds more than fair to me! Perhaps you should go ahead and do a small test spot on your neighbors cars and show them what you can do to make their paint look better?
        I think I am going to give them a call and ask if they would like a test panel done so they could see my work ahead of time. I was actually thinking of doing this but wasn't sure if this was the typical thing to do. Thanks guys! That was truly helpful!
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

This is psychological gimmick, and I discovered it by accident. Carry a appointment/memo book with you, or a Blackberry, Palm or any device with a calendar feature. When a client expresses interest, consult your calendar even if you're wide open. Ask them fro their preferred appointment date, then ask them for a 2nd date as backup.

I found what this does is to create the perception that your services are in demand, and it generates a sense of urgency in the client. If their prefered appointment date is available, they feel like they won a mini-lottery and will probably be less likely to cancel.

Also has the effect of making you look more professional.

Comment

You should really get insurance though.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              This is psychological gimmick, and I discovered it by accident. Carry a appointment/memo book with you, or a Blackberry, Palm or any device with a calendar feature. When a client expresses interest, consult your calendar even if you're wide open. Ask them fro their preferred appointment date, then ask them for a 2nd date as backup.

I found what this does is to create the perception that your services are in demand, and it generates a sense of urgency in the client. If their prefered appointment date is available, they feel like they won a mini-lottery and will probably be less likely to cancel.

I agree.
              This sales method is known as an alternate choice close. You've narrowed the clients choices down to two possibilities, each option results in you getting the job. If the times don't work for them they will let you know, you'll also find out if they need more info. or if they have any further concerns.

This is a very effective method and it's non offensive.

Comment

When a client expresses interest, consult your calendar even if you're wide open. Ask them for their preferred appointment date, then ask them for a 2nd date as backup.

I found what this does is to create the perception that your services are in demand, and it generates a sense of urgency in the client.

This is a good technique.

Comment

I agree with this and use it ALL the time lol. Most times I get a call from someone wanting an apointment. And even if i'm at home with my calendar right in front of me i'll tell them that i'll have to check my schedule and see what dates I have open.

Then sometimes (which really i should do ALL the time) I'll ask if they have dates that work better for them or not. I think the idea of asking for a back up date as well is a smart idea, I think i'll adopt that one
                  Wills Amstutz
                  Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
                  www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Set your prices according to what YOU need to make to afford your products, insurance, equipment, etc... and make a fair profit.

For normal detailing I charge accordingly to make about $25 an hour and paint correction is between $30-$35 an hour.
                    Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
                      Set your prices according to what YOU need to make to afford your products, insurance, equipment, etc... and make a fair profit.

For normal detailing I charge accordingly to make about $25 an hour and paint correction is between $30-$35 an hour.
                      I find a lot of new guys don't actually know what they need to charge to make a desired profit. Especially when you don't know how long certain jobs will take you.

I think it's tough at first. Flat rate you may rip yourself off. Hourly you might rip the customer off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
                        I find a lot of new guys don't actually know what they need to charge to make a desired profit. Especially when you don't know how long certain jobs will take you.

I think it's tough at first. Flat rate you may rip yourself off. Hourly you might rip the customer off.
                        This is a problem that I'm facing as well. Trying out some rates, seeing how they go, and then adjusting accordingly. Website will be up soon!
                        -----

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Majeika View Post
                          This is a problem that I'm facing as well. Trying out some rates, seeing how they go, and then adjusting accordingly. Website will be up soon!
                          Good luck with the website. You're a jack off all trades :-)

Comment

Bill -

Ons step at a time! Slowly making progress. Just ordered business cards this weekend. Once I get those and finish the website, I can start spreading the word. Until then, it'll be just word of mouth. Working on my own car in the meantime
                            -----

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Majeika View Post
                              Bill -

Ons step at a time! Slowly making progress. Just ordered business cards this weekend. Once I get those and finish the website, I can start spreading the word. Until then, it'll be just word of mouth. Working on my own car in the meantime
                              Same here, i just got my cards a couple days ago..i gotta say they turned out pretty sweet . i got 2500 glossy's from GotPrint.net ...full color front and B&W back for $33 shipped.
                              Wills Amstutz
                              Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
                              www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');