• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove this concrete/paint like substance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove this concrete/paint like substance?

Trying to help a buddy. He found this on his truck and will not come off. It is very hard. On the inside of the tire area, he can slowly chip it off. It is like paint or grout or concrete. If you are familiar with caliche soils in Texas it is like a clay that can get broken down and powdery, but when it gets wet it reconstitutes like cement (but we're not sure that this is even what this is)

He's used bug/tar remover, also power washed it but it did absolutely nothing, didn't even soften it.

Any suggestions?

Re: How to remove this concrete/paint like substance?

Comment

I would normally suggest the D-Line Body Solvent, but that stuff doesn't look like it will really come off with just body solvent. How long did you let the bug and tar remover sit on? Maybe get some body solvent or try your bug and tar remover, drench it with the solution, and let it sit for 20 minutes, keeping it wet with solution. This will give it time to penetrate the stuff.

If that doesn't work, I would try getting some very wet towels and letting them sit in the panel area for a while to try to re-hydrate the mud/concrete stuff and see if it softens it up.

If that doesn't work, maybe try using a pressure washer.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I am the person with this car.

It is a 2009 Malibu LT with 27,000 miles.

I got it like a month ago and it came with this already on there (I got a hell of a deal). I don't know how long this was on the car, but it is EXTREMELY HARD.

I've tried pressure washer/white wine vingegar/equal parts muartic acid/bug and tar

I left the acid on like 10 seconds and rinsed it.

It seems like I am going to have to go to a paint shop to get this fix, but figured I'd let you know.

Thanks again To be named later!

Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Comment

Any way to contact the original owner? Perhaps he can tell you what it is, or at least clue you in as to what it could be by where he drove the car or worked.

Comment

Wd-40?
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If all else fails....I repeat, only if all else fails you might try this.

Get some plastic razor blades (they are available on many detailing supply sites). With the blades and some detail spray, use the blades to pop off / scrape off the cement. You will most likely put some scratches in the paint, but many of them you will be able to buff out. It won't be perfect, but it will look better than what you have now.

Again, use this as the last thing you try.
              -Bob
              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I'm with Bob. That is what I do if all have failed. Plastic razor with body solvent. They just pop right off. But it'll definitely mar the paint (nothing that a lil polishing cant take out)
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

looks just like plain cement

Comment

There is a product named "Poof" that claims to remove concrete. Just check out this website and click on Poof.

I don't have a clue if it will damage the paint but it is worth a look.

Comment

I recently had a client who drove over a five gallon bucket of paint. Paint in wheel wells, tires, rim rocker arms,etc. Body solvent and the plastic razor blades removed over 90% for me. I would try the razor blades.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Back-Set by Romix is a paint safe acid alternative with no fumes or odours, molecularly breaks down the ionic bond in Portland cement, completely dissolving and releasing the hardened cement from any surface it is adhered to. Chemically speaking, Back-Set converts the positive ions in the hardened matrix into negative ions, which dissolves the cement into mud that can be rinsed away.

Because it works chemically, rather than mechanically, Back-Set may be used to remove cured concrete, mortar, grout, and stucco from virtually any surface without harm. Always apply to a dry surface area
                        ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');