• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Wipe-on/Walk-away Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Wipe-on/Walk-away Sealant

My wife drives a Honda CR-V with lots of cladding. It takes me hours just to clean and dress the tires and wash and wax the car. I want to keep the CR-V looking good, but Ripley (yes, she has a name) is not my special car. The less time I have to spend maintaining her the better.

For the past year I have been using the Ultima Paint Guard Plus as my protectant (synthetic sealant). This is a wonder product. I spray it on the microfiber sponge (one spray per panel) and wipe it on the car. No buffing is needed. I apply it to paint, cladding, moon roof, headlights, and metal and plastic trim. I can seal the entire vehicle in ten to twelve minutes. I usually wait 12 hours to allow the sealant to cross-link and apply a second coat the next morning. One product does it all. It dries completely clear. The car looks great. And UPGP is pretty durable--two coats of the stuff got Ripley through last year's winter. During the non-winter months I re-apply it every two months, not because the protection is failing but just because I want to maintain the protection at a maximum level. UPGP is just too easy not to re-apply semi-frequently. UPGP is even easier to use than the excellent Ultimate Quik Wax, and it provides superior protection.

I wish Meguiar's would develop a product like this. I only know of one other sealant sold on the market similar to UPGP--Optimum's Opti-Seal. In other words, the field is wide open! My guess is that there are a lot of people out there who would jump on a synthetic sealant like this, if it were made widely available. Wipe-on and walk-away--that's the ticket!

Cheers,
    Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: Wanted: Wipe-on/Walk-away Sealant

Those sound similar to UQW? What seems different with them?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Similar yes, but also two differences: The synthetic sealant I want Meguiar's to create and sell is one that (1) does not require buffing and (2) is as durable as, if not more durable than, NXT, i.e., a stand-alone sealant.

UQW is marketed as a maintenance, booster wax. It is not intended to be a stand-alone protectant. I want a sealant that I can use exclusively year-round.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Zaino CS is another WOWA product. Duragloss has one too(not sold in the US) but the name has slipped my mind.

Its nothing close to UQW. UPGP is a full sealant that has great durability and is a wipe on and walk away product. No need to work it in or buff off. UQW is strictly just a booster product.
        Alan T.

Comment

Maybe Gtechniq C2 might help. But quite costly. 100ml -GBP 25ish (incld P&P).
          Learning new things everyday

Comment

Optimum Opti-Seal seems to do the same job, and I hear that so little product is needed, the bottle will last you a heck of a long time!
            1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

Originally posted by techjazz View Post
              Optimum Opti-Seal seems to do the same job, and I hear that so little product is needed, the bottle will last you a heck of a long time!
              Opti-Seal works very well. Great beading, you can use it on windows too.
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Ultima Paint Guard Plus sounds very promising. I'll give it a go.

Comment

I also use UPGP on my wife's CR-V. As Akimel said, it is a great product. Very easy to use, slick and durable. It also looks very good. I really like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');