• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chips in paint - not getting a smooth surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chips in paint - not getting a smooth surface

Hi,
    Just found this area. Have been reading but can't find an answer to my question(s).

White vehicle. older. Cleaned it all up. Now, attempting to fix the paint chips. Have tiny ones to a bit bigger. Went to auto store, bought paint, primer and clear coat.

I am NOT getting the results I thought I would. I thought it would be kinda like mudding and drywall, as I know how to do that, only too well.

I can wetsand the larger areas down. I think the primer is junk, but it will fill in the area, but it just doesn't want to sand smooth. I have a few smaller spots sanded smooth, but then the paint won't smooth out.

Obviously something is not right, either my technique or the products are not the ones I should be using or combo of above. Or can the nice finish only be obtained by professionals?

Re: chips in paint - not getting a smooth surface

How big of chips? Are they tiny rock chips or is it more of peeling? I got some rock chips on my car and had the same issue with the touch up paint. Mine looks like fingernail paint blobs gone wrong. I'm betting I'll have to mask the area and sand it down. I saw a post on here about Dr. colorchip something. I watched the youtube video of the application and it looked a thousand times better than our method. Their kit took out road rash and everything. The biggest kit they had was for $59 but a lot of people were swearing by it so it must be worth it.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');