• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for recommendations

I recently purchased a new F150 and am looking for some input on which products to use to maintain it. I plan to wash/wax this weekend but with all the products
    Meguiars offers, it can be a little confusing to figure out which one you need. Choices are never a bad thing, but the number or products for maintaining your vehicle sure has grown!

Anyway, I am posting a pic to show color in case that makes a difference on which products you would choose:

Re: Looking for recommendations

First of all... nice truck! "Nowhere" sure looks like a nice place, the grass is beautiful.

Basics:
    Wash: Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
    Clean: Smooth Surface Clay kit
    Protect: NXT Tech Wax 2.0
    Top with M26 Yellow wax if you want a "wet" look. (I think it would look awesome on that color, BTW love the color).
    Maintain: just use the rest of the Quik Detailer that comes with your clay kit, if there is any left. The truck should be pretty clean, but there is still a lot of surface to lubricate.

I'm sure others will chime in, but this is what I would start with.

Bill

Comment

Assuming there are no swirls/imperfections, I like this:

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. ColorX
      4. Wax - Nxt 2.0
      5. Maintain - UQW is nice after future washes.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        Assuming there are no swirls/imperfections, I like this:

1. Wash
        2. Clay
        3. ColorX
        4. Wax - Nxt 2.0
        5. Maintain - UQW is nice after future washes.
        Murr can you explain, why you recommend ColorX and how often you would use it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Looks like a 2009. If it is new and in good shape, I see no reason to clay bar it or anything else other than a good wash and a good coat of NXT wax and enjoy. Down the road you can do more during maintainance.

Comment

Originally posted by JonH View Post
            Looks like a 2009. If it is new and in good shape, I see no reason to clay bar it or anything else other than a good wash and a good coat of NXT wax and enjoy. Down the road you can do more during maintainance.
            If you clay this car you would be surprised ..

clay is:

Comment

Well, think of it this way, if we are going to clay the car because it may be dirty, there is probably dirt in the pores/imperfections as well. So that would need some kind of proper cleaner.

So your basic choices for cleaning with no defect removal needed are SwirlX (#205, #80), Cleaner/Wax, and ColorX.

SwirlX or the other cleaner polishes would be fine of course. Then do your 2 coats of wax.

But on a new car, light colored, probably a daily driver, the OP may not want to spend loads of time. So a cleaner/wax type product saves a step.

The Cleaner/Wax would be fine, but the little sample size wont last too long, so going to need to buy something else.

Now, a daily driver will get a little extra grime on it, so using ColorX since it is a little stronger makes sense to me. Also goes on/off easy, and looks good.

It is still milder than SwirlX, and the strength depends on how hard you work it in. I would say I apply it mildly, and would be perfectly safe every month. But topping with Nxt 2.0 etc, and using UQW after washes, I think you will get 2-3 months in the more moderate climates.

Then if there are no defects next time, can just clay if needed, ColorX, and wax again. Another nice quick detail with all the steps covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                Well, think of it this way, if we are going to clay the car because it may be dirty, there is probably dirt in the pores/imperfections as well. So that would need some kind of proper cleaner.
                So you are saying clay on it's own doesn't really get into the pores and low spots. hmm I assumed it did. Thanks.

Comment

No, just the high spots and stuck on stuff.

Comment

I do not always clay, but it is always ColorX and #16 on top. Maybe just me, but without ColorX, "it just ain't the same".

Comment

I think the best advise that I can give an owner of a new vehicle is to find what works best for you and what you like the best. I asked pretty much the same newbie questions. I got pretty much the same answers. Lots of recommendations for certain products. I hated what was suggested. Took a couple of months, but I found the stuff I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Davidson View Post
                        Murr can you explain, why you recommend ColorX and how often you would use it? Thanks in advance.
                        It is generally good practice to use at least a light polish after claybarring to remove any possible marring that was caused from the clay hitting a "dry spot".
                        Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                        Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                        www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
                          It is generally good practice to use at least a light polish after claybarring to remove any possible marring that was caused from the clay hitting a "dry spot".
                          Or just extra clay/QD smudges....

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'll post when I get finished with the job this weekend.

Comment

I was in his spot almost a year ago exactly, here is what I did on my new Ford.

2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');