• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding

I had a large stone chip on my car (no loss of paint), below the right side mirror. My friend works in a paint shop and he offered to help to "improve" the appearance.

He used 1500 grit sandpaper to level out the surface, then applied touch-up paint, then applied clear coat. He came the next day and used an machine with compound to polish the surface.

The appearance did improve somewhat, now I can see a small bubble on the same spot. However, when I look at it at a certain angle, I can see there is a small, small dent. There was no dent before and the way he did the repair, I know that he did not create a dent. So, this dent is just an illusion of the clear coat in certain lighting.

Not sure if I explained this clearly. Not sure what I can do now. Should I apply SwirlX (the strongest product I have) and rub the heck out of it?
    Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jul 9, 2010, 08:35 PM. Reason: Family friendly language

Re: Wet Sanding

It's really hard to say without seeing pictures, but one thing to keep in mind is that touch-up paint work rarely comes out 100%

Although you may see something when you get within a foot or from the paint, sometimes you have to just ask if it is worth chasing the perfection if it looks good from a normal viewing distance/angle.

As a perfectionist, I had a hard time accepting that reality, but sometimes it just is the only option.

As for leveling something with a polish, it generally will not work since it will follow the contours of the paint and equally lower the paint level... which likely will not remove the dent, just precious clear.

Comment

I tried to take pictures but maybe because of the lighting, the pictures do not show the dent at all.

Besides various waxes, I have only the following: DC1-Clean, DC2-Polish, Swirl-X, Scratch-X (V1.0). Since I know it is not a dent, will any of these products help?

Comment

If the paint there is just lower, no product will bring it up higher. If the paint is lower, or the rock chip caused a ding, it wont matter.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          If the paint there is just lower, no product will bring it up higher. If the paint is lower, or the rock chip caused a ding, it wont matter.
          There was no dent before and what he did definitely did not cause a dent.

I have other rock chips and there are no dent.

I will try DC-2, rub it hard and see what happens!

Comment

I'm not sure that's what I recomended, but ok....
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What it sounds like is your repairman may not have done a very good job of fading the new clear coat in with the old clear coat. I think I agree with Murr on this one. I wouldnt just polish the heck out of it. Without seeing pictures I would not know for sure but the first thing that comes to my mind would be to resand that area. I wouldnt even mess with that though unless this is a very special car. (i.e. showcar, collectors', etc.)
              ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
              www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
              (352) 897-0050

Comment

I have observed this many times. What is happening is that the clear coat which is buffed off has now created a small valley in the surface. From a particular angle, it will look like paint deformation. For some reason, some paints show this more than others.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');