• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering first engine compartment cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering first engine compartment cleaning

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 5.3L V8. I'm considering cleaning the engine compartment but with all of the various components and stuff it doesn't seem possible to cover up the things that might get damaged. The coils alone are all over the place.

How should I go about cleaning this particular engine compartment?

Re: Considering first engine compartment cleaning

Im not going to lie... Ive never really cover anything on an engine unless it was an exposed air filter if i do i use plastic bags and foil. you can wrap foil around anything and make it stay... my approach to engine details are as follows

1. Mist with water to remove loose dirt (not focusing with a stream in 1 certain spot)
    2. Spray down with an APC
    3. Agitate with a brush
    4. Rinse (not focusing with a stream in 1 certain spot)
    5. Blow dry with compressor
    6. Dress engine
    7. Shut hood and start engine for 5 minutes
    8. Wipe off excess

Good luck let us know your approach
    - Markito -

Comment

I clean my engine compartment when it gets very dusty and I never cover any thing do not use any harsh cleaners as they will attack the wires I

Comment

I appreciate the information.

My engine has so many wires and things all over it doesn't look possible to scrub or brush anything.

Looks like spraying with APC and gently rinsing off (i.e. not power spraying) is my best option.

Thanks...

Regards...

Comment

This is a picture of my engine and all the stuff thats in the way. The other side is just as covered.

Comment

I wash about 7-9 engines a day. I spray a degreaser and let it dwell for a few minutes. I don't scrub anything. Rince off with pressure washer and apply water based dressing, close the hood and walk away. Always looks awsome (look at my avatar) and I have NEVER had a problem with any electronics.
            Sorry Meg's but none of what I use on the engines is from Meguires. I wish i could use your products for th engines but just too hard to come by.
            Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
            "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG BUFFER View Post
              I wash about 7-9 engines a day. I spray a degreaser and let it dwell for a few minutes. I don't scrub anything. Rince off with pressure washer and apply water based dressing, close the hood and walk away. Always looks awsome (look at my avatar) and I have NEVER had a problem with any electronics.
              Sorry Meg's but none of what I use on the engines is from Meguires. I wish i could use your products for th engines but just too hard to come by.
              Have you ever cleaned the newer Ford Triton engines (4.6 or 5.4L modular) with your method and if you have, any issues with electrical components?
              2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

I tried some APC+ on a couple of areas of the motor compartment as a test but the APC+ had no effect on the grime. Looks like I'll have to move up to a degreaser.

Comment

Some time I use a mixture of dawn and water on spots that APC could not remove. Patience and elbow grease goes a long way in detailing an engine compartment.

Comment

Some time I use a mixture of dawn and water on spots that APC could not remove. Patience and elbow grease goes a long way in detailing an engine compartment.

Comment

Super Degreaser to remove grime and grease; Hyper Dressing to make everything look pretty! Works all the time for me!

Comment

I have not cleaned a engine bay yet! It make me nervous i dont want a check engine light to come on with a customers car. I guess i just need to man up and give it a try.
                        auto detailing in Lexington Kentucky

Detailing cars in lexington

Comment

I was nervous at 1st when doing my own. But it's not that bad. I like to wrap the electrical components with aluminum foil and have had great luck doing it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Learnin:421448
                            Im not going to lie... Ive never really cover anything on an engine unless it was an exposed air filter if i do i use plastic bags and foil. you can wrap foil around anything and make it stay... my approach to engine details are as follows

1. Mist with water to remove loose dirt (not focusing with a stream in 1 certain spot)
                            2. Spray down with an APC
                            3. Agitate with a brush
                            4. Rinse (not focusing with a stream in 1 certain spot)
                            5. Blow dry with compressor
                            6. Dress engine
                            7. Shut hood and start engine for 5 minutes
                            8. Wipe off excess

Good luck let us know your approach
                            I use these same steps but use a degreaser instead of APC. I want reiterate do not use a heavy stream of water. The above steps always give me good results and smiles on my customers face.
                            Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
                            2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');