• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring an '82 Honda Passport c70 Paint, Plastic, chrome, and aluminum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring an '82 Honda Passport c70 Paint, Plastic, chrome, and aluminum.

So I am restoring my ancient 1982 Honda Passport. Here are closeup photos of the bike in it's current state:

I have acquired another bike with some parts in better condition, but many parts I just can't replace, so I have to do my best to restore what I have. Also keep in mind I have to use only the tools I have at hand, I don't have a buffer, so I plan on doing everything by hand.

As I see it I have several challenges:
    1. Rust Removal (I was planning on using evapo rust to remove rust from screws, bots, racks, etc)
    2. Polish Metals (engine case, engine parts that show)
    3. Paint Touchup (if possible, the bike is monza red)
    4. Painted surfaces (some with stickers)
    5. Chrome (exhaust, rims, spokes)
    6. Plastic (the front fender is all plastic)
    7. Rubber and vynl

So with this list in mind and the images on my bike, what do I need to buy and do to get this bad boy looking as good as possible?

Re: Restoring an '82 Honda Passport c70 Paint, Plastic, chrome, and aluminum.

Meguiars #10 clear plastic polish for the speedo
    If you're hand polishing, Autosol for all of your chrome, aluminum and plastic (boo, I know. It IS the best).
    Vintage Honda touch up paint is a nightmare. Track down the color code, colorrite.com does almost all of the Honda colours in a spray can. If you want the nail polish type they may have that as well.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a lot of the rust off the chrome with evapo rust, then polished with brasso (it seemed to do the job. I removed and polished all the spokes, hubs, and it turned out great. For the paint I used the meguiars clay kit, and that seemed to work great. Here are some of the after pictures:
      HTML Code:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/93565853@N00/sets/72157624709876844/

Comment

I have an 83 Passport same color as yours. You probably already know this, but the engine cases are painted silver. You could certainly polish them and then, preferably, clearcoat them to minimize future maintenance. You can buy a new front fender for about $30 (dratv.com). If yours is cracked or damaged in any way it is darn near impossible to fix; just buy a new one. Have fun with your beast!

Comment

Originally posted by Rcktsled View Post
          I have an 83 Passport same color as yours. You probably already know this, but the engine cases are painted silver. You could certainly polish them and then, preferably, clearcoat them to minimize future maintenance. You can buy a new front fender for about $30 (dratv.com). If yours is cracked or damaged in any way it is darn near impossible to fix; just buy a new one. Have fun with your beast!
          Cloud Silver paint is still available from your local Honda dealer.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');