• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

working by hand - questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working by hand - questions?

Hope its ok to post in this section. My questions pertain to working on our vehicles and since I do it by hand, I thought I'd post here and not in Detailing 101.

1)When using the foam pads that comes with the boxed products (not pads for the buffer maachines), how can you correctly use pressure so you do not use your fingers too much? I saw in a video or some wheres, if you use the foam pads you can actually see the finger pads on the other side from too much pressure. My main use of the foam pads is to apply the GoldClass Carnauba Plus (oh, and Nxt tech wax 2.0). I don't think I press too hard to even get my finger prints on the foam pad, but I want to make sure I don't. I have a hard enough time getting a thin layer-mainly with the carnauba wax.

2) The videos show using a pad to apply the 3 cleaners I have (swirlx, scratchx and ult. compound). I do not really do this. I have towels (I think terry?), and I put a dab of cleaner on the towel and work it using one or two fingers. Generally, the area I am dealing with on our vehicles are not very large. Even the bit larger ones, I do this. I also start with the less-abrasive one and work my way up, if needed.
    So, is this not right? I've had success at removing most.

Must say, doing by hand is time-consuming. But, I really like doing it, and except for my hand and arm getting very tired, the results are really nice and makes me feel like all the work and worrying was worth it. Especially, when the vehicles shine!!! then they bring them back home all dirty!!!

Re: working by hand - questions?

1. You want to use your palm, or across the face of your fingers. I think Mike Phillips used to have a picture of holding an applicator, I'll have to look for it.

2. Towels, and esp terry, are much more aggressive. So you have the possibility of leaving other swirls behind. It is common if there are real bad swirls, and working by hand, to use terry for an application or two, then follow up with a foam pad to finish mildly. For general cleaning though, a pad will be mildest/safest.

3. Its just exercise....
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The foam applicators are held in the palm of your hand, just like the clay pancake. Just takes some getting use to.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Personally, I don't like using little hand pads for anything bigger than spot work or maybe a couple panels.

Meguiar's velcro backed pads are made for machines but they also have hand grips available that let you use the pads by hand.

pc.

Comment

Originally posted by carcareGAL View Post
          Hope its ok to post in this section. My questions pertain to working on our vehicles and since I do it by hand, I thought I'd post here and not in Detailing 101.

1)When using the foam pads that comes with the boxed products (not pads for the buffer maachines), how can you correctly use pressure so you do not use your fingers too much? I saw in a video or some wheres, if you use the foam pads you can actually see the finger pads on the other side from too much pressure. My main use of the foam pads is to apply the GoldClass Carnauba Plus (oh, and Nxt tech wax 2.0). I don't think I press too hard to even get my finger prints on the foam pad, but I want to make sure I don't. I have a hard enough time getting a thin layer-mainly with the carnauba wax.
          You need to invest in a pressure-measuring device. They usually run between $8K and $10K, though AutoGeek has them on sale right now for $11.5K. This device will measure the pressure that you apply to the pad and reveal any excessive or unequal pressure being applied to specific fingertips. It will also print out precise instructions on distributing pressure equally throughout the fingers and palm, thereby guaranteeing outstanding results when applying any (not just Meguiar's but any) wax or sealant.

All real detailers have invested or plan to invest in this machine. That's why their results are so much better than ours.

For the rest of us, it's trial and error.

Must say, doing by hand is time-consuming. But, I really like doing it, and except for my hand and arm getting very tired, the results are really nice and makes me feel like all the work and worrying was worth it. Especially, when the vehicles shine!!! then they bring them back home all dirty!!!
          I'm glad you're having fun. That's what it's all about!!!
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

As the others have mentioned it's not so much the pressure, it's about equalizing the pressure. That amount of pressure you apply is going to be relative to what you are trying to accomplish. Equalized pressure is essential no matter what you are trying to accomplish.

Sorry to say carcareGAL, but I think you have "the bug". The only cure is a G110v2 Dual Action Polisher plus lots of other goodies.

Comment

I have a "handle" similar to the one pictured by Bill Davidson. I got it at a local auto parts store. It came with three different pads. The pads weren't all that useful, but the handle is great! The velcro on the handle doesn't really "grip" to the various pads that I use, but there is enough "stick" between the handle and the pad that the pad does not move around, relative to the handle. Works well. Something similar could be fabricated with little effort.

Comment

thanks! bought the 'handle' shown in picture. will try it maybe tomorrow.

have a buffer. my oldest bought it for me, after I did his vehicle which took me a few days to do the whole thing! bonnet flew off to the other side of the garage.

A gentlemen at the store told me to put velco on it. Have not had the time to do that yet. When I do, I plan to sew my own 'bonnet's! I know they will NOT go flying across the garage!

PS I did get the bonnet to stay on, using a shoe string. but, it only came with two and I went through those very fast.
                Next summer I plan to overhaul my garage, and thus buy a few more toys. I need to make some room with my other shop tools.

Comment

Originally posted by carcareGAL View Post
                  I need to make some room with my other shop tools.
                  You're the coolest gal!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');