• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wetsanding marks in clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wetsanding marks in clearcoat

I wet sanded some scratches out of my Jeep.
    I then compounded the area with whatever compound was in my garage but cannot get rid of the wet sanding marks

What am I doing wrong?

Re: wetsanding marks in clearcoat

First of all, welcome to MOL.

I moved your thread into the best forum for your question.

There is a lot we need to figure out before we can work towards a solution. For starters, which brand of sand paper was used?

Which grit(s), and in what order? Did you hold the paper in your bare hand, use a sanding block? Electric or pneumatic sander?

Can you identify which compound you used? How did you apply it? By hand, machine, with a towel, foam applicator, etc

Once we get a better idea of what you have done, we can then formulate a plan to fix your issues

Also, pictures - preferably in macro mode - would also help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
      First of all, welcome to MOL.

I moved your thread into the best forum for your question.

There is a lot we need to figure out before we can work towards a solution. For starters, which brand of sand paper was used?

Which grit(s), and in what order? Did you hold the paper in your bare hand, use a sanding block? Electric or pneumatic sander?

Can you identify which compound you used? How did you apply it? By hand, machine, with a towel, foam applicator, etc

Once we get a better idea of what you have done, we can then formulate a plan to fix your issues

Also, pictures - preferably in macro mode - would also help.
      Thanks I can try to post pics tomorrow

I wet sanded with 1500 grit using my hand

I used a turtle wax compound which I applied with a foam applicator and rubbed off with a cotton cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rackydoo View Post
        Thanks I can try to post pics tomorrow

I wet sanded with 1500 grit using my hand

I used a turtle wax compound which I applied with a foam applicator and rubbed off with a cotton cloth.
        Do you know the brand of paper by chance?

There is actually a HUGE potential for variation between one brand's 1500 and another's.

But, that said, it is definitely going to be a lot easier to remove sanding marks by stepping the grit down at least one more time, if not twice. For example, follow the 1,500 with 2,500, and then that with 3,000.

This will help to leave a more consistent surface. Be careful, though, as you are removing a substantial amount of paint each time you wetsand.

The next issue I would address is using your bare hands to sand. A sanding block (foam pad) helps to give an even cut, but holding paper in your bare hands will tend to create deeper grooves, which add to the difficulty when it comes time to remove the sanding marks.

The next issue would be the product you are using to remove the sanding marks. I am not sure if Turtle Wax rubbing compound is even formulated for that use, and there are certainly better suited products for the job.

If you can, get some Meguiar's M105. It is certainly one of, if not the best and easiest product on the market to use for removing sanding marks - especially by hand.

Comment

Great will do!

Thanks for the help

Comment

paper was 3M.

I'm not going to be able to do anything on this until next weekend.

I'll post up results and a picture how she looks now,

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');