Tire Dressing
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tire Dressing

          
  1. #1
    Washing is relaxing gmitch23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City Oklahoma
    Posts
    285
    Rep Power
    13

    Tire Dressing

    Anyone know of really good tire shine that gives that really really deep wet look but doesnt splatter down the side of the car when driving it? I had my white car all nice and clean only to see that a trip around the block left specks of tire shine all down it. I apply my shine by brush to prevent overspray but that doesnt seem to help.

  2. #2
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, Tx
    Posts
    393
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Tire Dressing

    I've never had a problem with splatter using Hot Shine Tire Gel, which is my favorite tire shine product. I've used several from various companies, including boutique brands, but I have settled in with Hot Shine Gel (not the spray....)

    I apply it with a puck-style applicator and after it's applied to the entire tire I do a final swipe around the whole tire to pick up any excess and work it into the rubber a bit better.

    I've never found a single dot of splatter on my silver car or seen any on other cars I have detailed.

    Maybe you could try applying the tire shine a bit earlier (while you still have other things to do, like windows, interior, wax, etc... so it has more time to dry fully).
    Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
    Houston Area Mobile Detailing
    www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

  3. #3
    Registered Member Murr1525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,243
    Rep Power
    239

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Well, most will if you put too much on, which can happen with a brush.

    Usually best results will come from cleaning the tire well.
    Then applying, letting sit for a while like another other dressing, and then coming back with an old terry towel and wiping/blotting off excess. Really doesnt kill the shine much when I do it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

  4. #4
    Lexus Enthusiast Megafast13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,706
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Yeah,

    Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Gel is about the best overall that I've used.

    Apply with the foam applicator. Come back later with an old rag and remove excess product.
    Matt

  5. #5
    Washing is relaxing gmitch23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City Oklahoma
    Posts
    285
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Quote Originally Posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
    Maybe you could try applying the tire shine a bit earlier (while you still have other things to do, like windows, interior, wax, etc... so it has more time to dry fully).
    I actually waited an entire day before i drove it! I'm not a big fan of gel. I use to use Armoralls and it seemed to me it would just build up more and more after each use and was a dust magnet. Im sure Meg's is probably better.

  6. #6
    Washing is relaxing gmitch23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City Oklahoma
    Posts
    285
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Quote Originally Posted by Murr1525 View Post
    Then applying, letting sit for a while like another other dressing, and then coming back with an old terry towel and wiping/blotting off excess. Really doesnt kill the shine much when I do it.
    Maybe Meg's is different but when i use to wipe it down with an old terry it would dull it down a lot.

  7. #7
    Registered Member Murr1525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    19,243
    Rep Power
    239

    Re: Tire Dressing

    I can only say for what I have used of course, ASD and Nxt Insane Shine with more blotting/pressing than wiping.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

  8. #8
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    1139

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Quote Originally Posted by gmitch23 View Post
    Maybe Meg's is different but when i use to wipe it down with an old terry it would dull it down a lot.
    Wiping down almost any product a while after applying it will dull down the shine.

    NXT Insane Shine is pretty darn glossy, but even it will dull down to some extent if you give it a final wipe down.

    The problem with trying to achieve a really wet, glossy look is that most products really only achieve this while they are still wet. Of course, when still wet they'll get thrown off the tire as speed builds - sort of tricky to overcome the laws of physics here. So, you wipe 'em down. But then you lose some gloss. As with anything, it's a bit of a trade off.

    Bottom line -

    • any tire shine product will sling
    • any tire shine product will not sling

    It all depends on how you apply it and what you expect to get out of the look.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  9. #9
    EPHIOS EPHIOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    800
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Tire Dressing

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Wiping down almost any product a while after applying it will dull down the shine.

    NXT Insane Shine is pretty darn glossy, but even it will dull down to some extent if you give it a final wipe down.

    The problem with trying to achieve a really wet, glossy look is that most products really only achieve this while they are still wet. Of course, when still wet they'll get thrown off the tire as speed builds - sort of tricky to overcome the laws of physics here. So, you wipe 'em down. But then you lose some gloss. As with anything, it's a bit of a trade off.

    Bottom line -

    • any tire shine product will sling
    • any tire shine product will not sling

    It all depends on how you apply it and what you expect to get out of the look.
    Absolutely true! Prepping your tire before applying tire dressing is essential. I use Super Degreaser (from Detailer's Line), and let it sit for about 30 - 45 seconds, then use a stiff brush to work the product. I usually do this twice every tire. Rinse the tire. Then, I use a shop towel (or paper towel) to remove excess chemical. If there is more grease (or dirt) left on the sidewall of the tire, I repeat the degreasing stage with the brush.

    Yes, it takes a bit more time, however, your tire dressing will adhere and soak in to the tire's rubber BETTER. Of course, always remove excess tire dressing, this will decrease the chance of slinging and accumulating dirt.

    Two weeks ago I cleaned my tire (like mentioned) and then applied Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam. Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes to penetrate. Then wipe-off the excess. Just this morning, I did a touchless car wash, and my tires still have deep, satin finish. PREP is everything!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Dressing Test (Round 2) - 56K warning!
    By gb387 in forum Meguiar's Product Raves
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 29th, 2017, 08:10 PM
  2. having a problem with tire dressing
    By 79elcamino in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov 10th, 2009, 07:30 PM
  3. A look into the TW (TylorWeaver) Method of applying Tire Dressing ;)
    By tylorweaver in forum Tricks of the Trade!
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
  4. Tire Dressing Test - 56K warning!
    By gb387 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: Apr 9th, 2006, 06:07 AM
  5. Tire Dressing questions
    By magnus in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 20th, 2004, 07:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •