• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Action Polisher or By Hand?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Action Polisher or By Hand?????

OK - I thought I had decided on working on my Vette strictly by hand. But, I am now leaning towards picking up a PC Dual Action Polisher for doing the work. I have a 2001 Dark Blue Metallic Corvette (just picked up 2 months ago), with minor swirl marks (quite a few - but not deep). The picture below is not the best, but can give you an idea of what I am talking about.

My main concern with the polisher, is doing any more damage to my paint. I have never used one before. But, I am told that is the only way to remove the swirl marks - that it can't really be done by hand. I already have quite a few Meguiar's products on hand.

- Gold Class Wash
    - Cleaner Wax
    - Deep Crystal Cleaner
    - Deep Crystal Polish
    - #7 Show Car Glaze
    - #26 Yellow Wax
    - NXT
    - Gold Class Wax

I would appreciate ANY recommendations - for both - using the polisher vs. by hand. And - exactly which products to use. I don't mind picking up more products - just not sure what exactly to use.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Hi C5-Deb,

I took the liberty to insert you photo into your post, hope you don't mind.

If you give me a second, I'll post some answers to your questions... (I type everthing up in MS Word and then copy and paste).

To bad your not closer, were having a Corvette Clinic here next Saturday,

Corvette Detail Day at Meguiar's

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike - awaiting your recommendations.

Here is a pic of the Vette after washing it up a couple weeks ago. Can't see the swirls on this pic - but they are definitely there - and on most of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by C5-Deb
        OK - I thought I had decided on working on my Vette strictly by hand. But, I am now leaning towards picking up a PC Dual Action Polisher for doing the work. I have a 2001 Dark Blue Metallic Corvette (just picked up 2 months ago), with minor swirl marks (quite a few - but not deep). The picture below is not the best, but can give you an idea of what I am talking about.

My main concern with the polisher, is doing any more damage to my paint. I have never used one before. But, I am told that is the only way to remove the swirl marks - that it can't really be done by hand. I already have quite a few Meguiar's products on hand.

- Gold Class Wash
        - Cleaner Wax
        - Deep Crystal Cleaner
        - Deep Crystal Polish
        - #7 Show Car Glaze
        - #26 Yellow Wax
        - NXT
        - Gold Class Wax

I would appreciate ANY recommendations - for both - using the polisher vs. by hand. And - exactly which products to use. I don't mind picking up more products - just not sure what exactly to use.

Thank you!!!!!!!
        Hi C5-Deb,

Working with your hands and the correct products can get you about 90% of the way towards a flawless finish, which isn’t bad. Stick with a regular maintenance program using high quality products and just as important, high quality application and removal materials, (applicators and polishing cloths), and your Corvette will always look better than most Corvettes and cars in general.

If you want to take your Corvette’s finish to its maximum potential, then it will be a lot easier, and your chances for success will greatly be increased by applying a cleaner/polish like Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish, using a W-8006 foam polishing pad with the porter cable dual action polisher.

The reason for this is because your hand, pushing down on an applicator pad cannot generate the same type of polishing-action that the combination of the above three items are capable of working over a short time and a little pressure. Your hand just cannot duplicate this type of polishing action no matter how hard you try, or how sincere your efforts. Each weekend, I demonstrate this at the clinics we hold here at Meguiar’s.

It is so easy, anyone can do it…

Your concerns over using the PC are valid as many people are apprehensive to use any kind of machine on their car’s finish for fear of instilling swirls or burning through the finish. But the PC is so gentle in its polishing action that it is completely safe to use even by first time users.

Here’s what I suggest you try if you haven’t already.

Starting with a clean car, either washed, or quick detailed, first inspect your finish for bonded contaminants, run the palm of your clean hand over the horizontal surfaces to feel for little bumps on the surface that will indicate bonded contaminants. If you feel any, then clay your car first.

Here’s a quick write-up on how to clay your car’s finish,

How to clay your car's finish

After insuring your finish is free of bonded contaminants, next, two just one section, for example the hood or the deck lid area, apply the Deep Crystal Step 2 Paint Cleaner. Apply with a soft, clean foam applicator pad. This is a very gentle, non-abrasive paint cleaner. Remove with either a microfiber polishing cloth, or a soft, 100% cotton towel.

After that you can either apply the Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish, or go right to two coats of the NXT Tech Wax with up to 12 hours if possible for the second coat. Apply thin coats, and remove after 10 – 15 minutes of drying time. Use your best quality microfiber polishing cloth for removing the Tech Wax.

Then, pull your car out into the bright sun and inspect. If the cobweb-effect, swirls and scratches are gone, then repeat this to the entire car. If they are not, and you want to take the level of your results to a higher level, then you should consider investing in a porter cable dual action polisher.

Hope this helps…

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

While on the subject of by hand / polisher... Does Scratch X have to be applied by hand, or can it be used with a dual action polisher? It doesnt say one way or the other on the tube.
          Thanks !!

Comment

Hi C5-Deb,

Good question, and recently an often asked question.

ScratchX is for hand application only. It can become gummy or sticky on the finish when subjected to heat.

You can try it, but my experience is to use a product like #83 DACP instead for the above reasons.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I had excellent results getting quite nasty swirls out of my wife's black BMW with Scratch-X by hand, followed by Deep Crystal pollish and NXT. Some swirls are still visible in direct sun, but they are now invisible under my garage flourecent lights, whereas before it looked aweful. I'd say the results are about 90% - in other words, my wife can't see the swirls at all unless I point them out. BTW, don't be afraid (after a test section) to apply some pressure with the Scratch X. It really is safe, at least in my experience.
              TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

Scratch X

I had actually tried the Scratch X on the area in the photo, and didn't see much of a difference. BUT - I didn't use a lot of pressure. That might be part of the problem.

Comment

C5-Deb,

First of all hello fellow vette owner...I have a red C-4 '96. I had some scratches in my Tundra that I removed by hand with #9 swirl remover. It worked GREAT and was real easy to use. If followed with a coat of Deep Crystal Polish and then NXT.

Ronnette

Comment

Hi Ronnette - nice to meet a fellow Vette owner! I have heard great things about the #9 Swirl Remover - but was under the impression it was more for use with a dual action polisher. I haven't seen it at a regular auto supply store. Did you get yours online?

Comment

Re: #9

I have heard great things about the #9 Swirl Remover - but was under the impression it was more for use with a dual action polisher. I haven't seen it at a regular auto supply store. Did you get yours online?
                      You can get OK results with #9 by hand, it's just a lot more work and not as good as the results you would get with the PC.

Do you have a Pep Boys in AZ? They seem to have #9 usually.

Comment

Re: Scratch X

I had actually tried the Scratch X on the area in the photo, and didn't see much of a difference. BUT - I didn't use a lot of pressure. That might be part of the problem.
                        Also note that I topped with NXT, which has a bit of a swirl hiding ability itself.
                        TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

Re: Scratch X

After polishig with ScratchX by hand, did you then apply a wax before inspection?

Remember, ScratchX is a Paint Cleaner, not a last step product. Your suppose to apply a wax over your work to see the finished results.

Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well, it is good to see other C5 owners here! I am a recent owner of a 2002 Z06:

I am looking to get a lot of angel hair scratches out of my paint as well. I'm glad I checked this thread out as I was considering using the scratchX with a DA before I saw it! Glad to hear it is at least 90% effective. I am wondering after all is said and done if you used Meg's colorX to finish up the job it might get you any closer to that 100% look? Just a thought...
                            Shine on...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackeneD
                              I am wondering after all is said and done if you used Meg's colorX to finish up the job it might get you any closer to that 100% look? Just a thought...
                              I would recommend using Tech Wax to finish up the job instead. ColorX works great for it's intended purpose, and that's as a strong cleaner wax. Tech wax is for finishes that have already been pre-cleaned, pre-polished, or are new or in like-new condition.

You Corvette owners are killing me.... You're making me want to purchase a Corvette!

Mike
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');