• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Choosing Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Choosing Polish

Ive got some very light swirls in the hood, and a couple other places on my 2008 Honda CR-V, most likely from automatic car washes ( Ive switched over to hand washing it now like I do my Corvette ). Its the dark blue color.

Im considering 3 products to remove them, maybe somebody could help me choose. The paint still has all the shine and luster it originally did, its my DD, garage kept but parked under trees at work, and Ive been putting NxT 2.0 on it twice yearly.

Im considering
    1.) Deep Crystal
    2.) SwirlX
    3.) Ultra Finishing Polish #205

I will be applying by hand, with a foam applicator.

Id rather start milder and go more abrasive if required. The #205 is much pricier, but if I stand less of a chance of damaging the paint, or its more suitable I dont mind forking out the bucks for it.

The plan is...
    1.) Wash
    2.) Clay
    3.) Rewash with Dawn
    4.) Polish
    5.) NxT 2.0, let sit 24 hours
    6.) Quik Wax on top.

Re: Need Help Choosing Polish

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - SwirlX would be the mild swirl remover. Then Ultimate Compound if something stronger was needed.
    4. Polish - Deep Crystal Polish is a pure polish, meaning just oils, nothing to clean or remove swirls. It is an optional step, if you want to do it.
    5. Wax
    6. Wax
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I thought Polish meant abrasive - whats the function of the oils, to fill?

Comment

Its really quite a wide area. In short there's 3 stages-

-Compounding
        -Polishing
        -Refining

The compounding is if you have heavy defects, the polishing is to remove the micro marring left by the compound and then you refine the paint with a finishing polish to make it super slick with depth and clarity. Obviously theres so meny combos of pads out there, that you mix and match depending on the paint depth and quality. Glazes are your polishes with filler's in them. These have alot of oil in them to help the paint defects to be hidden. People use glazes when you don't have a d.a. or a rotary to cut the defcts out the paint. Or if the paint is so thin that you need to polish by hand because because machine polishing is going to eat the clear coat and end up as a strike through. Something no one wants to happen.

Regards Mike
        UK

Comment

Also you'll be better buying a g220 to start with, i'm sure you'll use it alot. This will remove light swirls and holograms with ease, plus you'll be able to refine your paint and lay a pre-wax cleaner done on a polishing pad. With a pre-wax cleaner all lsp's last longer on the paintwork.

Comment

Originally posted by New2Detail View Post
            I thought Polish meant abrasive - whats the function of the oils, to fill?
            Different companies also use terms differently. Obviously getting the Meguiars terminology here.

The oils will tend to fill in the surface imperfections to increase the gloss/reflectivity of the paint. But they will also act like a moisturizer, helping keep the paint from drying out.

Comment

If the swirls are really light, then I would go with swirl remover 2.0 (mirror glaze) or swirl x,
              my plan would be ...
              -Dawn wash
              -Clay
              -dawn wash
              -Polish/Clean (swirl X)
              -Polish (# 7 or DC step2)
              -Wax (NXT)
              -Wax (another thin layer)

I used these steps on my moms car when it had light swirls and swirl remover 2.0 got them out. But I used a PC , not by hand. You might need to step it up to some ultimate compound , (it will be a lot easier to remove swirls by hand ) Do a test spot first regardless of what product you use.

Comment

Unless your vehicle is a plate, bowl, or cup, I would shy away from the Dawn wash; repeated use of it can cause problems down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
                  Unless your vehicle is a plate, bowl, or cup, I would shy away from the Dawn wash; repeated use of it can cause problems down the road.
                  I should warn my Dad. Dawn, or whatever he finds under Mom's kitchen sink, is all he uses on his 2000 LeSabre. He has been doing that for ten years since new, nothing has fallen off. The car looks great, and Mom's hands look pretty good too! I really think the only "problems" Dawn, and the like, will cause, is wax stripping. Since he doesn't wax the car, he has had no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post

Can you name the problems please?
                    I'm unsure as to what products like dawn can do to a car/truck.

Comment

Originally posted by FRS View Post
                      Can you name the problems please?
                      I'm unsure as to what products like dawn can do to a car/truck.

Dish soap is noted for removing oil. It's doesn't make much sense to add oils to your vehicle through polish, only to strip it with dish soap. We've seen lots of examples of died up paint on this forum (search crows feet). Dish soap is also bad for rubber.

By the time, you wash (with car wash soap) and clay your vehicle, any wax that remains (if any) will not damage your paint, during polishing. You have a much higher chance of doing damage to your vehicle by using dish soap.

Comment

Using it once wont make the car explode.

But used repeatedly, it will dry things out. Also, dish washing soaps are not designed to have the lubrication that a good carwash soap will, increasing the chances of swirls.

And as mentioned, wax will be removed.

A good soap will make old dried out paint look better by itself. Have to look for the red Mercedes pics...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                            Using it once wont make the car explode
                            The above pic was after one wash. The clear coat got soooo tight that the vehicle nearly imploded.

Seriously...

Comment

Ive only used dawn a few times and the water still beads and sheets off my paint (Waxed with NXT) after wards. The duribility of NXT 2.0 eh , just amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');