• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008? Toyota Tundra 4X4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008? Toyota Tundra 4X4

While my neighbor has been on vacation I have spent a few hours every night since Sunday giving his Toyota Tundra an exterior correction. It has 33,000 miles on the clock and is his daily driver. It also gets used to haul a riding mower, Golden Retriever, etc to their property out in the corn fields to our west. It usually gets hand washed and dried by one of the local car wash merchants. The paint had the expected light toweling swirls and a few bird bomb scars on the hood. The trim all around was dry and the driver's side door handle was two colors: gray and blackish gray. Also of note is that it had some minor body work done this last winter. Sorry, no before or during shots, I'm old and I forget things.
    On Sunday I washed it using 2 buckets/grit gards and Dawn to get all of the old wax/sealants off. Tires and wheel arches got cleaned with brushes & APC+ @ 4:1. Needless to say the tires had a lot of shiny stuff residue and got a second APC+ cleaning because of it.
    Monday night was clay bar night. I used some clay bar from mom's company and their detail spray. I did NOT like the scent of their detail spray. (The local Farm & Fleet had Mom's clay bar kit like $7.00 cheaper than what the Meguiar's kit usually is, plus no Meguiar's kit on the shelf...) I still had need of the Meguiar's OTC clay bar as some of the old bug splats weren't coming off. Note; I had used some APC+ on them first.....they were fossilized! I took Tuesday night off to be with all 3 of my girls.
    Wednesday night I taped off, polished and waxed the back end. I used M205 on a white CCS pad. Most areas were OK with two separate passes. The tailgate took four passes and should probably have been done first with M105, but you live and learn. Wax was NXT 2.0 liquid applied with a red CCS pad.
    Thursday night was the cab's night for tape, polish and wax. I did the same as the bed, but I was not happy at all with the results on the hood. There were three separate spots where birds had bombed the hood and one showed scars from it being cleaned off. I decided to do the hood the following night with M105 on an orange CCS pad. Waxing was done same as bed.
    Friday night it's raining! AAARRRGH! This truck barely fits in the garage and is backed in. I do not want to be standing in water while using a power tool. I also didn't feel like testing the GFI outlet! Oh well, the trim got Hyper Dressing @ 3:1 applied with MF pad. Also did the grill, gas tank opening and mirror backs. The backs of the mirrors and door handles literally sucked it up as soon as it was applied. I gave it a second dose and then did the glass with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner from the 2009 X-mas box (got 1 bottle left). At this time I decided to experiment with another companies carnauba wax. I loved what I saw and did the whole vehicle except the hood.
    Saturday AM and it's pouring rain! AAARRRGH! Gave the door handles and mirror backs another dose of Hyper Dressing, wiping it off moments later. Looked great so I left it and went to the office for the morning. This afternoon I attacked the hood with M105 on the orange CCS pad followed by M205 on a white CCS polishing pad. BINGO! The hood is near flawless. A quick coat of NXT 2.0 liquid by hand and outside for wheel arches and tires to get their Hyper Dressing, again @ 3:1. Wheels got NXT 2.0. A little detail spray and I almost forgot about layering the wax on the hood. Americana applied and off to the house for my camera. Total time in the correction was about 12 hours. I was so happy with my work I phoned my neighbor on his vacation to make sure he could access the interweb. I sent him the first photo.

While I was getting the info for the above pic I saw that Nick (Tuck91) also did a pickup truck, an F250.
    Sorry, no sunshine for the light of truth pic and it was too bright for the flash.

M105 followed by M205 just can't be beat!

That blue sky in the chrome reflection was from when I was driving home.
    2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Re: 2008? Toyota Tundra 4X4

Awesome work Paul! The truck looks amazing!

I was browsing the gallery and saw your pics, my first thought was those wheelwells were clean enough to eat off of!

I hear you on the rain, that F-250 I did barely fit in my garage as well, three inches to be exact.

Again, excellent work!
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
      Awesome work Paul! The truck looks amazing!

I was browsing the gallery and saw your pics, my first thought was those wheelwells were clean enough to eat off of!

I hear you on the rain, that F-250 I did barely fit in my garage as well, three inches to be exact.

Again, excellent work!

Thanks Nick!

And thanks for the suggestion on using toilet brushes for the wheel wells. I think they work better than the "correct" ones, plus at about $2 a pop I don't care if I break one or use it to death.
      2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

Nice work Paul the truck looks fantastic. I don't seen any signs of it looking any less than perfect in the photos. No need for a blazing sun shot.

Comment

Excellent work, Paul. The truck looks great. I bet the neighbor was thrilled to get a pic of his truck. Great job, Way to go.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');