• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

Where do you stand when it comes to detailing?

Just thought it would be a fun poll.

I am a full-time detailer/own a detailing business - Its my job/life!
    8.96%
    I detail for some side cash on the weekends.
    30.21%
    I just detail my vehicles.
    51.60%
    I never have detailed a vehicle, I am learning how to/just starting.
    7.49%
    Other
    1.74%
    Last edited by gb387; Jan 14, 2005, 05:55 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

For most of my cars I just stand on the floor. To polish the roof of the truck I stand on a folding bench (much easier than standing on the tires like I used to).

PC.

Comment

For the most part, I used to detail my own vehicles. However, I also do weekend jobs for relatives and friends and referrals.
      I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

I only detail my truck. The wifes car / the family beater/my car for commuting has holes so large I can put my head through it. If I wash the car, i'll be left with a pile of rust and a frame.

Comment

Full blown, all speed ahead, pedel to the metal, full time auto detailing !!!
          Last edited by Superior Shine; Jan 14, 2005, 07:44 PM.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I voted other. I'm a weekend type that does it for side money but I also have a business license and claim the money I spend and make.

Comment

I detail all of the household vehicles,any co-workers vehicles
              at present job,any relatives if needed,soon looking foward to
              getting licensed to start my own bussiness( detailing )
              "always somethin"

Comment

I operate a mobile detailing business here in Southern New Jersey. Although auto and boat detailing does take up a majority of my time, I also offer a variety of instructional information about detailing, such as Start Your Own Detailing Business Study Guides, Automobile & Boat Detailing Guides and Online Detailing Courses.

In order to fill the need that people have to learn more about how they can safely clean, polish and wax their own car, I am currently planning to begin teaching onsite detailing tutorials this spring. Basically, my clients would be shown just about everything they need to know in order to detail their own car just like a professional.
                FRANK CANNA
                Mirror Finish Detailing
                23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

my clients would be shown just about everything they need to know in order to detail their own car just like a professional.
                  Too bad they will not learn the safe and efficient use of detailing clay.

Otherwise, good luck with your training classes. I know of a detailer, Gary - Chicago I think, that has become very useful at training.
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                    Too bad they will not learn the safe and efficient use of detailing clay.
                    sorry to go O/T a bit here ..
                    did i miss something ???
                    what do u mean joe?
                    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

Frank doesn’t use clay to clean the finish of a vehicle (as he posted recently) He uses other ways to clean the surface of paint. I am assuming he will not teach the proper way to use detailing clay if he doesn’t use it himself.

I have detailed vehicles since I was 7 - 8 year old starting out in my fathers body shop (I am 37 now) and I personally believe that the introduction of detailing clay is the best thing to happen to auto detailing in the last 20 years. Even though I respect others opinions I do believe it unfortunate that some don't see the benefit of detailing clay.

Comment

Since I have already been teaching Adult Evening Detailing Classes at many of the local high schools here in South Jersey for more than ten years and I now also offer Online Detailing Classes, it was only natural for me to begin to offer new clients Onsite Detailing Tutorials.

Over the years it has become clear to me that there are plenty of people who just have a basic need to learn more about detailing. When it comes to detailing, I intend to continue to satisfy that need. Below is a brief summary of what the tutorial has to offer a new client.

TUTORIAL OBJECTIVE
                        The tutorial is being developed to help someone through the basic process of what it takes to safely clean, polish and wax todays' Hi-Tech Automobile Paint Finishes. It is a good way for someone to learn just about everything they need to know about safely cleaning, polishing, waxing and protecting their own car. Clients will be able to discuss their problems and get solutions.

TUTORIAL DESCRIPTION
                        The onsite tutorial will include information about the history of automobile paints and finishes. Comprehensive information about automobile detailing products, such as cleaners, polishes, waxes and protectants. Also included is an outline of basic step-by-step process procedures plus availability of professional automobile detailing supplies and products. How-to safely clean, polish and wax a car by hand and avoid surface damage. How-to clean and protect tires and wheels. How to apply interior and exterior protectants. How to clean and protect upholstery and carpets. How to thoroughly clean windows. The tutorial will also help clients to identify specific paint problems and receive possible solutions, cures and prevention.

TUTORIAL OUTLINE
                        1 - Exterior Cleaning, Polishing, Waxing and Protecting
                        2 - Interior Cleaning and Protecting
                        3 - Detailing Supplies and Products.
                        4 - Detailing Quality Checklist
                        FRANK CANNA
                        Mirror Finish Detailing
                        23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Just my own...unless I get ahold of some else's for a day (I'm detailing obsessed...I'll hijack someone elses car to detail if I get the chance)

Comment

Frank,

well thought out curriculum, good luck with classes.

Comment

For me, detailing is a "paying hobby"and a form of stress relief... it is a lot cheaper than seeing a pshrink!
                              Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
                              Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');