• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard masking lines in paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard masking lines in paint

I have another post in an auto body forum where I'm doing a spot repair as an amateur. I know my methods aren't approved, but essentially I wound up repainting a spot the size of a quarter with single stage paint on top of my bc/cc paint. I purposely used masking tape with a hole the size of a quarter around the spot, so I have hard masking lines on the edge of the circle.
    I have some Meguair's 3000 grit sandpaper on order, otherwise, I have some 3m 2000 grit here presently. I could wet sand the hard edge on the circumference with a sandpaper dot glued to the eraser of a pencil, or I could use a motor guard soft block foam sanding block and cut it to say a one inch square (or should I go larger?) and use that to wrap sand paper around to wet sand the whole spot, hoping it will take down the edge while I sand the whole thing. I know I'm not supposed to paint this way, but I have my reasons.

Instead of the sandpaper, I could use some polish/compound in a terry towel (which would make it aggressive) and lap the edge of the circle instead, but that would probably cause some uneven surface, or worse sand into the circle unevenly.

So ideas on the sanding would be welcome. After sanding, I intend on using some Meguairs fine cut polish or maybe medium cut polish on a porter cable buffer, then follow with Mirror Glaze hand glaze.

Re: Hard masking lines in paint

Tape around the area you are going to be sanding, leaving some of the newly painted area and some of the original paint exposed (the area you want to blend). Use a sanding block and sand the area that way there isn't uneven sanding or RIDS instilled in your paint. The tape should prevent sanding away areas that do not need to be sanded.

I would wait for your 3000 grit to come in, that way you can try 3000, see if it is enough to remove the lip, then if not, go to 2000 grit, followed by 3000.

Another suggestion is to try removing your sanding marks by hand first as opposed to a rotary. There is a possibility that a rotary may pull off the freshly painted spot.

Have any pictures to show us the repair?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Andrew,

Thank you so much. I will take some pictures. It is not pretty, the primer was not as perfect as l'd like and the last paint coats got some orange peel, but I'm doing this as a stopgap. I had used an airbrush to apply the topcoat and had some difficulties.

When you say "remove the sanding marks by hand, do you mean after the sanding use say fine cut polish by hand? I'm at the 48 hour point in drying time and the tech sheet suggests to sandpaper/buff up to 48 hours to make it easier. Unfortunately my 3000 grit sandpaper probably won't get here till Monday. I also ordered some M205, Ultimate Compound and some Scrach-X 2.

I got one body shop estimate, I may have the door done properly later in the year.

Comment

I got a lot of criticism in the other auto body forum for not painting a large area and feathering the airbrush to blend the paint without a line. I understand that there will always be a line, and was expecting it. The tradeoff would be that I would have to scuff and paint an area the size of my hand in order to feather the airbrush stream out at the perimeter. I would be placing a coating of single stage paint over the clearcoat in that larger diameter area and I don't know what the visual effect of compounding/sanding that blended area might look like. It might look worse than my small confined spot. Then again, maybe I will have to redo it this way....

Comment

Here's a closeup picture. Note that there are 1000 grit scrach marks around the perimeter which I did so the paint would adhere. The general area has some marks from fine and medium cut cleaner that I did by hand and did not get all the scratches out.

Comment

One reason why it looks so bad right now is because the paint surrounding it is in horrible condition. If you can blend it some, and revive the paint around the area, it should look much much better.

Try using some M07 on the surrounding paint after you have removed all of the swirls and scratches to see if it will darken the paint any. (The paint should look darker anyways if you get the swirls and scratches out.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Actually it is not quite as bad as it looks, this was an extreme closeup with a flash, and there is debris from the masking tape. There are a lot of scratches from the fine and medium cut compound I applied with a terry towel pad. That is why I was talking about applying them with a porter cable machine. I was using a single stage paint to cover the spot, whereas the surrounding area is base coat and clear coat (scratched up of course)

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');