• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Tool Box clean-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Tool Box clean-up

I used metal polish to see if the crud could be removed from my truck box. Yes it can be removed. The problem is diamond plate. I'll never finish if I have to do this job by hand.

Any suggestions on using the PC, polish, sealant? I think the diamond plate will tear any pad to little bits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you have a wool pad, take it to your PC. I have never used it for diamond plate but I would think either with our without product would be good. I know that wool pads are meant for things like diamond plate but in regular paint can impose more swirls than desired.
    FL

Comment

Thanks for your responce. I am new with this pc and for my first try polishing my truck, I am pleased with the results. Several areas I found myself too timid, but it was a learning experience.

No, I do not have a wool pad. Are you talking about a bonnet? I can pick up a bonnet locally. Would this work?

Comment

Originally posted by Honeyshucks
        Thanks for your responce. I am new with this pc and for my first try polishing my truck, I am pleased with the results. Several areas I found myself too timid, but it was a learning experience.

No, I do not have a wool pad. Are you talking about a bonnet? I can pick up a bonnet locally. Would this work?
        Wool pads look like this:

That's my own, I got it from Classic Motoring Accessories. Bonnets are different; they fit over a clean polishing or waxing pad to remove product like wax. I tried that once and it didn't work out that well for me. It was really hard to get the bonnet onto the pad, and it took longer than just using a microfiber towel to remove the product. My set of instructions that came with the pads stated that wool pads are mainly for diamond plate.. they can be used on regular paint but if you're not super careful you could be putting more scratches back into the paint.
        FL

Comment

When you have an uneven surface like diamond plate, I don't think a flat pad will get in there and will just hit the high points. Even a wool pad, once it's wet with product will mat and be sort of flat. Also, to machine polish aluminum, people tend to you a tripoli compound bar to start and a white rouge to bring out the gloss and a cotton polishing wheel. What I would recomend is a 10" loose cotton wheel like in the picture below to get into all the nooks and crannies. You attach the polishing wheel to a rotaty buffer like the Makita and mine came with an attachment to hold it. These wheels are pretty cheap, $5-10. Run it at speeds of 1500-2500 depending on your skill level.

Here's a place I found on the web that sells the stuff but many auto paint stores should carry this.

Comment

You could use a wool pad, (cutting or finishing), on a rotary buffer on low rpm. This works better than polishing by hand and is more effective than using a dual action polisher.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You do need the type of pad that Buellwinkle showed, but that pad will be eaten up. If you go to a Big Truck accessories store, they will probably have a stiffer yellow pad that is just the ticket. It is designed for diamond plate, costs about $8, and can be used multiple times. You also need the arbor so that you can use it on a drill motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                You could use a wool pad, (cutting or finishing), on a rotary buffer on low rpm. This works better than polishing by hand and is more effective than using a dual action polisher.

Mike
                What if you use a wool pad on your PC?
                FL

Comment

It will work for the most part. The problem is that it will spin so fast that as it approaches and leaves teh edge of teh diamonds, it will lift off the bottom surface. This will leave a line around each diamond that is unpolished, and will have extra compound residue. You will then have to spend hours removing the compound around each diamond to have the same level of quality job. For my time and effort, an aluminum polishing wheel just works better.

Comment

Thanks everyone!! I don't have a rotary and this is my first effort with a pc. I'm proud of myself but this dull toolbox now stands out like a sore thumb.

Thanks again for a great site. Now I have to get busy rounding up these items.

Comment

Hey,

Just to add....

When polishing aluminum, be sure to have a LOT of old towels and wear thin latex gloves. Aluminum polishing is quite messy and you will get black residue on everything. But if you take your time, you will be surprised how well you can make aluminum look!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                        Hey,

Just to add....

When polishing aluminum, be sure to have a LOT of old towels and wear thin latex gloves. Aluminum polishing is quite messy and you will get black residue on everything. But if you take your time, you will be surprised how well you can make aluminum look!

Tim
                        Take Tim's advice, he knows that which he speaks of...

How to go from dull to "Blinded by the light!"

Before

After

Click here to read more...
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice folks. Its amazing what you can learn here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You guys should really give this stuff a try, it is worth it's weight in gold. http://www.premiumautocare.com/p21-153.html

Comment

Aluminum is very stubborn; I once polished my nephew's baseball bat with Meg's All Metal Polish and my PC; imbedded dirt kept coming up to the surface and was a real pain in the butt. Turned out shiny enough to blind the pitcher's eyes though
                              FL

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');