• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

Using detailing clay to clay your car's paint, or your customer's car's paint will,
    • Enable your choice of wax or paint sealant to better bond or adhere to the paint
    • Restore a smooth, clean surface

The benefits created by claying a car's finish is claying restores a clean surface so a coating of wax or paint sealant can maximize the bond between the paint and the protection ingredients and claying restores smoothness and this shows up to your customer's eyes as gloss.

Claying gives your customer what they want even if they don't know what they want, it helps to insure the wax or paint sealant coating will last a long time and thus protect a long time, (that's something all people want out of a car wax), and the big picture visual results are a clean, shiny car that resembles the car when they first bought it and this makes for a happy car owner and by extension... a happy customer.

The above two physical results are the primary benefits or values created by claying paint to remove above surface bonded contaminants but lets take a little deeper look at these benefits...

Clean paint enables a wax or paint sealant to better bond to the surface
    The number one question I hear people ask on the topic detailing usually goes like this,
    "How long will brand X Car Wax last?"
    And the technically correct answer is,
    "It depends upon how well the surface is prepared to accept the wax"
    You see, a good chemist will create a car wax or paint sealant formulation to bond or adhere to car paint, not a layer of dirt. When contaminants build-up over the surface they create a layer or film of gunk, a mixture of whatever is floating around in the air where you live and park your car. The protection ingredients cannot get to the paint until this layer of contaminants is first removed.

If above surface, air-borne contaminants are present on the paint when a wax or paint sealant is applied, the wax or paint sealant will not last very long because it won't be able to bond very well to the top coating of the actual paint itself.

Smooth paint equals glossy paint
    I think we can all agree that a great looking paint job is a glossy looking paint job and gloss comes from a smooth surface. When air-borne contaminants build-up on your car's finish they create an irregular surface or surface texture that feels rough to the touch and reduces gloss.

The good news is using detailing clay to clay paint is fast and easy and for your time investment it provides the best bang for the buck when doing production detailing. Your average customer bringing you a daily driver wants you to do the dirty work for them so they don't have to do it. They see value in paying you for your time and energy to clean and maintain their vehicle so their time is freed up for what they perceive to be a more valuable use of their time. This could be working at their job, spending time with their family or fill-in-the-blank.

As a professional detailer, you want to do top-notch work while maximizing your profits and using detailing clay to clay your customer's car creates dramatic end-results that your customer will notice and this will help you to retain their business while getting valuable referrals.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

whats the difference between clay from a kit at the auto store and synthetic clay from a hobby shop? I have talked to a few detailer's who say there is no difference

Whats the correct answer?

Comment

Re: The 2 primary benefits of using detailing clay to clay paint

Thanks Mike, those are benefits that I think are often overlooked. I hadn't associated claying with providing a better bonding surface. It makes perfect sense.

Besides the primary benefits can we also add some secondary benefits or clarify some misconceptions.

What about removing above surface bonded contaminants before they work their way further into the paint's surface?

I've also always clayed prior to using the DA polisher (paint corrections), in fear that contaminants may dislodge and mar the paint while polishing. What's your take on this theory?

These were the main reasons I clayed. Am I correct in my thinking?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');