• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tar on door panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar on door panel

Working on the below pictured door panel. Its off of a construction truck and the black shown on it appears to be tar. I cant seem to get it loosened up with normal cleaners. I dont have body solvent and i am not sure what to use that wont harm the panel itself. Any ideas on what to use would be appreciated. Thanks

There's Room For All Of God's Creatures!!! Right Next To The Mashed Potatoes!!!

Re: Tar on door panel

Try some WD40.

Comment

Try a cloth soaked in really hot water. Lay the cloth over a spot where there is some tar and leave it for a min or two then try wiping it off.

Or

Try a little WD-40 on a rag. Just try an inconspicious spot and see if it loosens it up.
      Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
      "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Maybe try some Super Degreaser at 4:1 and a small stiff brush.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I'll put in a vote for WD 40... kerosene... turpentine... or any other readily available organic solvent. Concentrated plant oils like lemon or peppermint will work too but that stuff is pretty expensive at the desired concentrations.

The scratch and dent on the door looks pretty interesting. I wish my pickup truck looked this good.

Comment

Another vote for the wd-40.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I would use turpentine (paint thinner) . WD-40 might do the trick also, but it causes havoc with rubber if you get any on it.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');