• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Sand, really rough orange peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sand, really rough orange peel

OK first let me say I konw this probably belongs in the wet sanding part but I thought I'd get more hits on it here.

I have a customer that has a 04 toyota Seinna van. That deep metalic red, real sharp color. She hit a deer with it and smacked up the front bumper and fender. She had it painted the the dealer thinking that would be best since it only had 2500 miles on it. Well the first time she picked up the colors didn't match the rest of the van. Now the second time she picked it up it's alot closer than before and shes happy but there is a lot of orange peel or something right above the fog light. It's real rough and has no depth or reflection to it. I"m not sure if you can even call it orange peel it's so rough. I know , but its 13 degrees out with snow so I can't get them right now but once weather breaks I will. back to topic, I'm experienced with wetsanding but I haven't dealt with this extreme before. I"m thinking that I can make it better but not perfect. My concern is that I know they wetsanded it at the dealer since I can still see their sancing marks is that I don't want to take it too thin. Also a plastic bumbper so I can't put a ETG to it either. If anyone has any Ideas please let me know and when I can get a pic I will so you can better understand.

Thanks,
    Chubs

What happened, thread topic is supposed to say wet sand, really rough orange peel.
    Guess I've been up to long.

Chubs

Comment

I would tell her to take it back to the body shop, that is unacceptable in my opinion. They never should have let that car leave if there was a spot like that. You can try to wet sand it, but I would rather let the body shop do it.

Comment

That is what I told her, but she said after taking it back two times she was losing hope with them. She said she has seen my work and would like me to look into doing it possibly. I told her I never dealt with orange peel that bad but I would look into it and see if I can safely remove it. Myself and others on here probably know the dealer would just scuff it and repaint it. And having that extra build up of paint I would be afraid of it cracking down the road, so I think either way she is screwed.

Chubs

Comment

I know what you are talking about and its a hard call to make. It can either be that the clear is not completly covering that area or it could be that the clear was shot pretty dry right there. If there is enough clear ( no way to be sure ) you can wet sand it and buff it out.

I would definatly tell her to take it back to the dealer and get he manager involved. If you really want to help her go with her and maybe you can better explain how bad the job is to th emanager and body shop. Shoddy work like that should never be accepted.
          If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs
            What happened, thread topic is supposed to say wet sand, really rough orange peel.
            Guess I've been up to long.

Chubs
            All fixed!!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim you have any suggestions on this.

Chubs

Comment

I think Brian's advice is spot on.

Look at the down side...

you don't know the makeup of the film build...
                you can't measure the thickness...
                you can't measure your progress...
                you can't correct if you 'go too far'...

I think it is risky business. I'd negotiate with the dealer to have it resprayed BY ANOTHER SHOP. If you assist her in the discussions, the dealer should be more receptive.

Tough situation.

Good Luck!

Jim
                If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Thanks Jimmy and Brain. I was thinking along those lines of not doing it. Thats why I thought I'd ask on here and wee what you guys would do. Next time I see her I'll have to see what she wants to do with it.
                  One more question, Since the clear could be thin or uneven coverage there could it fade or crack on her sooner than the rest of the bumper? At least thats what I'm thinking towards. Especially if she gets it buffed by either me or someone else that person might end up getting blamed for burning the paint there if it to thin or uneven, right.
                  I"m thinking repaint.
                  Just some more thoughts,
                  Chubs

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs
                    Thanks Tim you have any suggestions on this.

Chubs
                    Hey,

I too agree with Brain and Jim, there are just too many variables. I would take it back and have them fix it.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');