• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finest grit to remove orange peel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finest grit to remove orange peel?

What is the finest grit that will remove the majority of orange peel from a finish? I am planning on getting my car a "real" professional paint job but wanted to see if it would be good enough for a few more years with a wet-sand.

I was thinking 2500 grit? Will this be enough, or will I have to go with 2000? I doubt 3000 will flatten too much of the orange peel.

I want to keep it as fine as possible to I will be able to remove the sanding marks with my G110V2 and M105.

For reference, I will be using Meguiars Unigrit papers and doing the work by hand. Maybe one panel a week or so taking my time, the car rarely leaves the garage anyway.

Any opinions appreciated.
    1987 Buick Grand National
    1999 Buick Regal GS
    1990 Mustang GT Convertible
    1996 SVT Cobra

Re: Finest grit to remove orange peel?

Depending on the degree of orange peel, you'll probably need to sand with 1000 - 1200 grit (possibly even 800).

Note: the above doesn't apply to paint runs, dust nibs, or "dry" spray - these are things that are best left to "experts" to correct.

FWIW - I prefer to have the painter be responsible for the initial sanding of the paint for two reasons.

1. Puts emphasis on the painter to spray a "smooth" paint job
    2. It removes the "finger-pointing" in case you sand through the paint job.

I also recommend having the painter apply extra coats of clear coat (assuming you're getting a 2-stage paint job) - this way you will have enough paint build to sand/polish/buff.
    Andy W.
    Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
    Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

I'm no wet sanding expert, but you should do some test spots starting with 3000, then 2500, then 2000 and so on . By doing this, you can see for your self which grit paper you'll need.

Note- O ya , use a paint depth gage.

Comment

Wow, 1000 grit? I though 2500 would at least do a decent job. Im going to order some Unigrit in 1500 up to 3000 and do some test spots.

Unfortunately I dont have a thickness gauge and I dont plan on spending the money on one. I believe the clear is think by the wet look of the orange peel, so Im pretty sure it could stand at least one wet sand.

When it goes in for a re-paint, I will surely have the shop wet sand it, I would never attempt it on a new paint job, just seeing if I can make the car look better until that time comes.

Last question, when sanding by hand, what is the best technique? I will be using a sanding pad of course and only go in one direction, but as far as lubricating the paper and the surface, which method is best?
        1999 Buick Regal GS
        1996 SVT Cobra

Comment

87CL2 -

I'm sorry I misunderstood your original posting - I thought you were asking for advice on wet sanding a fresh repaint.

I'd be really careful about wet-sanding factory paint without full knowledge of the car's paint history. As Ravi 1992 stated, current cars have thinner paint than older cars (10+ years) so you can get into trouble real quick if you're trying to achieve a "perfect" finish.

IMHO - it is tough to achieve a perfect finish with current factory paint since the orange peel might not be correctable without overly thinning the clear coat.

Definitely perform test spots with fine to course paper (3000 - 2500 - 2000) but be prepared to compromise on how much orange peel you are willing to accept.
          Andy W.
          Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
          Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

I am definitely willing to compromise with the acceptable level of orange peel, not necessarily looking for perfect.

However, this is not factory paint, it is a 6 year old repaint with thick clear. Thats why I think I can get away with it. I wouldnt even try it on factory paint, not worth it.

I'll do some test spots and see where it goes. I dont think I'll go any lower than 2000 grit. Thanks for the help.
            1999 Buick Regal GS
            1996 SVT Cobra

Comment

Trizact 3000 discs via DA will certainly do the job, but you'll burn through a bunch. 1500 works much better and faster but will require further refinement(w/3000).
              South Florida & Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');