• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The correct way to apply products by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The correct way to apply products by hand

I attempted a search because I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything. When applying Speed Glaze, then DC#2, and finally NXT, how should I apply these products by hand? I'm using Meguiars foam applicators and will remove with a quality MF. How does everyone rub the products on? Do you do it in a straight line, in a swirling motion, etc? In my younger (less educated) days, I would just put some wax on a pad & rub it on in a swirling motion, but now I'm wondering if thats the best way to do it. I just want to improve my technique! Thanks everyone.
    2003 Mach 1
    Azure Blue
    5 speed/IUP
    2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    KY Horsepower

I always apply waxes with a foam applicator in circular motions.....

As long as the suface of the car and the surface of the applicator are clean and don't pick up any contaminents, and you use quality towels to remove residue you should be fine.

Comment

Thats what I've done in the past, but I've also heard that going in straight lines in better. I was just hoping for opinions. Thanks for the input!
      2003 Mach 1
      Azure Blue
      5 speed/IUP
      2007 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
      KY Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by MattN03
        I attempted a search because I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything. When applying Speed Glaze, then DC#2, and finally NXT, how should I apply these products by hand? I'm using Meguiar’s foam applicators and will remove with a quality MF. How does everyone rub the products on? Do you do it in a straight line, in a swirling motion, etc? In my younger (less educated) days, I would just put some wax on a pad & rub it on in a swirling motion, but now I'm wondering if that’s the best way to do it. I just want to improve my technique! Thanks everyone.
        Hi MattNO3,

Meguiar’s official response to this question is this,

If you’re using a non-abrasive product with a high quality, clean, soft foam applicator pad, and you’re working on a clean surface, then it shouldn’t matter which direction you move the applicator pad over the finish because nothing you’re using will be instilling any scratches or swirls into the finish.

The above being true, then some panels lend themselves better to straight line motions, while other panels lend themselves better to circular motions.

Examples:

Circular Motions
        Most people find it’s easier to apply products in circular motions to large panels like the hood of a car. The reason for this is because circular motions act to help you spread your product out over large areas for more even, and thorough coverage. Some people also feel that circular motions help you to better work products into the finish. One thing for sure, moving your applicator pad in a circular motion tends to feel natural, and appears to come natural to most people. (Hand a wax applicator to 10 people and ask them to apply some wax to the hood of a car and stand back and watch how they apply the wax).

Straight Line Motions
        Without good technique, applying products using straight-line motions is more difficult on larger panels. Straight-line motions are just as easy to use as circular motions, (and sometimes easier), on small panels and panels or sections that are longer in one direction while narrow in the other direction. Some times the panel itself will determine which direction you will apply your product.

An example would be the painted pillar on the side of the windshield on my Blazer.

Common sense tells you, (as well as the actual application of a product), that it will be easier and more efficient to use straight-line motions versus circular motions to apply a polish or wax to this thin, narrow painted section, than it will be to use circular motions.

The key thing to remember is this, if you’re applying non-abrasive products, i.e. products that do not scratch or scour the finish, and your applying them with a soft, clean applicator and using good technique, then you should not be instilling any scratches or swirls no matter what direction you’re moving your hand.

Hope this helps…

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');