• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterspots from driving car after wash = harmful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterspots from driving car after wash = harmful?

Since I got a new car, i've been trying to be suuper careful of my paint.

Especially since i keep hearing that the newer subaru's come with apparently a relatively thin/weak clearcoat.

but i was wondering, since sometimes I only have time to wash my car very early in the morning before work, thus i have to drive it almost right after.

Obviously the water from the trunk/mirrors/grill will leak out after I drive.

If i don't use QD to wipe them off or w/e, does it actually harm the paint at all if i keep them there?

Re: Waterspots from driving car after wash = harmful?

Why don't you take a microfiber towel with you. As soon as you park, walk around the car and see where the water has leaked out and then gently blot it.

Yes, I think you want to attend to the drips immediately. If they are not attended to, minerals will be left behind when the water evaporates, which results in water spots, which, if not attended to, will etch the paint.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

The same problem occurs with tire shine sling off. As part of my wash routine, I take the auto for a spin around the block a time or two. Then pull back in the driveway and wipe off the water and tire shine that hit the paint. And, as akimel says, I always have a micro-fiber with me. I also carry glass cleaner and quick detailer.
      "The Dude Abides"

Comment

May want to look into a leaf blower, to do your best to get rid of it all quickly.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          May want to look into a leaf blower, to do your best to get rid of it all quickly.
          Well that settles it. That's the last good reason I needed to purchase an air compressor!
          "The Dude Abides"

Comment

Originally posted by accuracy View Post
            If i don't use QD to wipe them off or w/e, does it actually harm the paint at all if i keep them there?
            Sure it could harm the paint. The worst part is that it's not uniform, so it may be more noticeable.

As others have suggested either blow the water out prior to driving or bring some QD and a microfiber with you to touch up the paint once you park.

The best solution is to blow it out before you drive.

Comment

I would bring a qd bottle and microfiber to work. By all means take care of it immediately.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

alright makes sense. i guess for now, i'll just use the cal duster, and QD it, until i get a rewash. thanks for the great ideas

Comment

Originally posted by accuracy View Post
                  alright makes sense. i guess for now, i'll just use the cal duster, and QD it, until i get a rewash. thanks for the great ideas
                  I recommend Last Touch at full strength for the QD - in my experience it works very well at softening up and removing fresh water spots. Spray a little onto the spots, give it 15 seconds or so to soak, and GENTLY wipe it away since you will have dust/dirt on your paint from the drive.

Comment

I'm currently using a bottle of Meg's 135

is it among one of the best ones available? and how much different would it be from Last Touch, or the Chemical Guy's Ver.?

Comment

+1 for LT. It really is nice gear...
                      Originally posted by Blueline
                      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');