• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear coat layer -- chip repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat layer -- chip repair?

I’m working on repair of a paint chip on one of my Harleys. It’s irregular in shape but about 1/8 inch in diameter. I have the official Harley touch paint kit…. two small bottles -- Vivid Black and clear coat.

I have pretty much followed the procedure outlined by David Bynon ( a touch-up "guru"). http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-r...repair-clinic/ (Scroll down.)

So far I have carefully layered a four coats of black into the chip using a modeler’s detail brush (darn small). The paint, which I have applied, is still below the surface of the paint surrounding the chip.

I had this fender bead blasted and repainted several years ago. I know that the painter used a “ton” of clear coat.

David Bynon suggests not using clear coat for the final layers of the touch-up while most folks using clear. http://www.paintscratch.com/brush.htm

I have been doing touch-ups for lots of years (Would you believe 50!) and have never used clear for the final coats. By the way, I am really quite good at it.

I am striving for perfection on this touch-up. Any suggestions?

Tom

Re: Clear coat layer -- chip repair?

The chip is about 1/4 inch in diameter. Makes a difference, right?

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Would you guide me with my repair? pls.
      I have those on my car hood
      some from tar some from deep scratch

I went through guide and got from automotivetouchup Touch Up Paint Pen.
      However, I wasn't able to apply pain as expected it dried up very fast and pen by itself dried in matter of minutes.
      I started using toothpick, but it didn't help much ether as paint wasn't fluid enough.

I asked automotivetouchup about my dried pen and got answer to use lacquer thinner for the pen.
      Can I add lacquer thinner to the paint to make it thinner without impacting color?

Another thing about pen wet sanding - it doesn't last long as it gets clogged by touchup paint I try to remove to make it even and as result I reapplied wetsand to 7 pen erasers. Not a big deal, just not sure it doesn't last long enough.
      I use 1000 grit.

Thanks.
      Mike

Comment

more pics

Comment

Mike,

It appears that your dealing with something that is beyond me. It appears that your flaws are quite large and may require a repaint by a body shop.

The largest brush/tooth pick repair that I have ever done was about 1/2 inch in diameter and then while was a pretty good repair it was noticeable.

I have also used rattlecans for touchups, but that can be pretty darn tricky. Usually if spray painting is necessary, I head to a body shop.

You are working with metallic paint. They can be a real "son-of a gun to work with.

Check this out http://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up...paint-tips.htm It may help some.

Tom

Comment

Mike,

A little more.

I have found that the pens are not all that great. I prefer high quality artist brushes of various small sizes. When using brush, you must allow lots of time between layers. Yes, the paint can be thinned with automotive lacquer thinner. I can wetsand small areas but I am very, very careful.

Tom

Comment

thank you very much for your answers
              looks like I have to lower my expectations ...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');