• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wetsanding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wetsanding...

do you use a guide coat in between sanding steps to be sure you are removing all of the previous sanding marks out as you go?

seems to me you would,let me know what you think

Re: wetsanding...

Originally posted by daniel clark View Post
    do you use a guide coat in between sanding steps to be sure you are removing all of the previous sanding marks out as you go?

seems to me you would,let me know what you think
    You could use a guide coat, but to be honest I think it would be a lot of extra work that won't really net much of an end result. If you are leaving sanding marks that are deep enough to show with a guide coat then you are using far too aggressive of a sand paper or really bad technique.

If you are hand sanding then I would recommend sanding on one direction (left to right, right to left for example) with one grit then going in an opposite direction (up/down vs left/right) with the finer grit. This way you will be able to see when all of the previous grit marks have been removed.

This is known as cross-hatching.

If you are using a DA sander, then you will want to look at the uniformity of finish. Rougher grits will leave deeper, wider scratches, and produce a less reflective surface, where as finer grits will leave a semi gloss finish with a very fine, fine scratch pattern. You can literally see any deeper markets from a rougher grit left over in the ultra fine pattern.

Hope this helps.

Todd
    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Re: wetsanding...

I've only seen a guide coat used for blocking the car prior to paint...never in wet sanding.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');