• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jay Leno Garage: "I rarely wash any cars"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jay Leno Garage: "I rarely wash any cars"

Of course Jay doesn't wash his cars......He has someone else do it!! Something tells me that person wouldn't be a "dummy" either when it comes to keeping Jay's rides nice!!

Maybe it's Conan that does the washing!
    For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyG View Post
      My neighbor must be related to Jay Leno, he never washes his "car" either!
      Me thinks we have the same neighbor .

2009 Chev P/U...never washed. Daily driver, snow, salt, rain, tornadoes.

Oh, it is BLACK, or at least is was...so so sad.

Bill

Comment

Back when I was younger/single/too crazy to know better (pick one), I had a car that was basically a garage queen. It saw road duty infrequently at best - maybe 2x per month during the summer, only with no chance of rain. It was a blast to drive, but its primary purpose was a show car so it was maintained as such. Traditional water washings were time consuming, taking 3 to 4 hours to wash and dry by the time I chased all the water from everywhere. I didn't trust rinseless washes so the car was maintained with a duster and gallons of Final Inspection.

Honestly, from the time I completed the car until it was sold it was never waxed.

Now that everyone's over the horror of the last statement, let me explain more fully. While the car wasn't waxed, it was treated to a glaze either once a month or when I thought it needed it, whichever came first. It was transported to any show over a 45 minute drive by an enclosed trailer. Prep for a Saturday show started Monday evening- the car would go onto jack stands where all 4 wheels, tires, and hubcaps would be removed, both sides washed and dried, and both sides of the tires dressed. Next, I would start at one end of the car using older "utility" towels and a sprayer of Final Inspection and clean the entire undercarriage. Once that was done, the wheels were reinstalled and the car set back on the floor. Engine bay and trunk were next, followed by interior and glass. The glaze was one of the last steps, followed by the reinstallation of the hub caps. Friday night was reserved for any last minute touches and packing a kit to take with me to the show.

Once I rolled onto the show field, a quick touch-up was all that was necessary. I used to just shake my head at folks that waited until they reached the show to start their clean-up.

Sometimes I miss those days.....

Steve

Comment

I LT'd my big caprice car three times this week, only took 5-6 minutes. Today I cleaned the jambs with APC+, washed off with LT.
          I love how the paint feels. Just like a slip n slide.
          That is no daily driver.

All I did was wash with UWW, UQD'd two days after. It's actually long overdue for a claying and some M21.
          2012 VW GLI

Comment

Anyone know an updated link to the original video?

Comment

Well I'd say it's feasible IF you never drive in the rain and the car is always stored in a well lit humidity controlled showroom.

i used to own an E type and I only washed it every 6 - 8 months or so. According to my wife it was more like some sort of witch doctor's ritual consisting some man with a stick dancing circles around bonfire (me walking circles around the car holding a dryer with towels strapped to my belt)

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');