• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy oxidation

I'm not technically a detailer, i'm a lot tech at a dealership so i generally get cars after a professional detail is done. At any rate, i don't really do any work with paint except basic waxing and buffing, but i just bought a project car, a 1991 audi. For being 20 years old the car is in fairly good shape, but it does have quite a bit of scratching all over the body, and there's some heavy oxidation on the roof. I don't want to pay $2500 to paint my $800 car quite yet, so i was wondering if there's anything to be done about the roof, hopefully at least to improve it if not restore it... Any help greatly appreciated!

The roof:

The rest is in ok shape... (except for being really dirty since i haven't cleaned it up yet)

Re: Heavy oxidation

Sadly, what you see is not just oxidation... that is clear coat failure. In other words, your car has a two-stage paint job with the color coat topped with a clear, protective coat. That protective coat is what has turned white and is receding as it continues to fail.

It will sadly need a re-paint as once the clear coat gets that bad, you can't fix it with buffing.

Comment

For the roof, if you don't want to get a new paint job I'd recommend maybe doing a vinyl wrap. If you know how to do it yourself you can get a big piece of black vinyl for cheap and problem not fixed, but hidden

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwZ2VTGNZE

Comment

Not oxidation on the roof. It is clear coat failure. Sorry.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

I agree, definitely clear coat failure, common on some vehicles of that time frame. I remember Fords loved to lose their clear coat as well.

Comment

I figured it was probably the clear coat because of the white. Incidentally the guy i bought the car from works at a vinyl shop and offered to cover the roof... might take him up on it.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');