• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow removal question

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but what do you to remove snow from your car? I usually just start it up, turn on the heat and let it run to the snow kind of melted and then use my arm to sweep it off.

Anyone ever try this product (http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/m280.html)?

Jim

You see that product at dealers all the time. I am sure it is a good product but... I would never use one for fear of scratching I know I had to do a lot of work getting my truck to look good and I don't want to take a chance.

I try to brush the snow off just above the paint leaving a thin layer on the paint to melt off or blow off when driving.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have to agree. My fear is that it would scratch the paint. I have never known anyone who used one or owned one.

Comment

Hey,

This year, I have had to deal with snow removal often...

Anyway, I too like to remove the snow, just above the surface leaving a little snow that will just blow off. You must be very careful not to hit the paint below the snow.

I would not use the product mentioned in the first post. If there is any dirt on the paint below the snow, which is quite likely during the winter, you will cause scratches.

Here is my truck from a recent snowfall. You can see the tiny amount of snow I left on the surface.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Tim - now that is alot of snow. Glad we don't have that very often down here. It is suppose to be 65 degrees F here today.

Comment

Hey OrangeRcode

Sure, rub it in!!!

Yea, that was quite the snowfall that night! We received 12" within 18 hours! Within a few days after that, we had accumulated ~ 18-20" of fresh snow!

Tim

Comment

Can't say this is what I use but I would recommend these products for 'scratch free' snow removal. Did I say I live in Florida and it's 75oF here LOL

Snow and Ice Removal:
              Ice Remover-strong enough to rip through thick ice, the Ice Dozer has enough designed-in flex to handle the curvature of today’s auto glass. Ice-cracking teeth cut into heavy accumulations; a wide, flexible blade finishes off the last traces of frost. A shielded handle near the scraping end lets you apply extra pressure with ease
              (Ice Dozer)

Snowbrush-Stratmosphere Ultimate Snowbrush, this new innovation finally brings you the technology you need to save your car's finish this winter. It has Genuine Boar's hair bristles that stay firm, even when wet so it’s kinder to paint finishes than any other snowbrush. Prior to the Ultimate Snowbrush you have probably damaged your finish by using synthetic-based (plastic) snowbrushes that leave all sorts of scratches and swirl-marks on your finish (stratmosphere ultimate snowbrush.)

Sno Brum- a telescoping squeegee that removes snow from the windshield without scratching.
              Clearing snow off the windshield is just part of the challenge, the rest of the car carries a heavy blanket of snow that obscures vision, blocks the radiator, and covers taillights. And on my 4x4, a foot of snow can pile up on the roof, creating a hazard for following vehicles. (Sno Brum)

JonM
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                Hey OrangeRcode

Sure, rub it in!!!

Yea, that was quite the snowfall that night! We received 12" within 18 hours! Within a few days after that, we had accumulated ~ 18-20" of fresh snow!

Tim
                I was a little off. It was 76 degrees F this afternoon. I took off early, washed my pickup and wife's and chased the kiddos around. What a great day! I did think of you folks freezing up in the Great White North.

Comment

We didn't get alot here. The new's said we could get 4 to 6 . But it doesn't look like that at all outside.

Comment

Re: Snow removal question

Originally posted by jfwebber
                    Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but what do you to remove snow from your car? I usually just start it up, turn on the heat and let it run to the snow kind of melted and then use my arm to sweep it off.

Anyone ever try this product (http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/m280.html)?

Jim

I have one of those, but I must admit that I'm afraid to use it.

This is actually a very good question, and one that I don't think has been asked before on this forum.

For now, I use a soft carwash brush and try not to touch the paint. I had a surprise snowfall on Thursday and was caught without a brush. I had to use a towel that I had in my trunk for bird dropping removal. It worked but was a messy operation.

Tim, the amount of snow on your truck makes the snow here seem almost insignificant. I'll bet you have better snow removal service than we do. It's a joke here in central Indiana. 3-4 inches here and you better stay home.

I see you're still driving around with the boat on top of your truck. Sort of your way of thumbing your nose at mother nature. I like that!

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Plenty of snow here to clean off too!

I continue to use this product with great success for cleaning most of the snow off....

Even though it's supposed to be used for washing, it is nice (and fairly safe) for getting the majority of the snow off. (Like Tim, I don't remove all the snow) It's also nice for washing the roof and windshields of big vehicles, as the wash mitt is pretty decent sheepskin.

I like them so much, I have several of them now!
                      Boss_429

Comment

Hey RamAirV1,

Snow removal around here is pretty good. It would take a lot more than what is on my truck to shut us down. They do not even shut the schools until we hit -40 degrees C!

As for the boat, I leave it up year round! You never know if I pass a lake in the Spring and the ice has come off....time to go fishing! And besides, you are right, it is a subtle hint to Mother Nature!

Here is last weekend on my deck...!!!!!!

Tim

Comment

If you're going to have snow, it's better to be up north where they can handle it. A couple of inches here shuts everything down. We had two inches of snow here today with some blowing and drifting. Some counties pulled their snow plows off the roads because they couldn't handle it.

I grew up in Cleveland, and it took 12 inches of snow to even slow us down. Plus when they plowed the roads they actually did all of the lanes, not just one.

Boss_429, thanks for posting that link. I was not aware of that wash glove. If I wasn't waiting for the new Meguiars accessories I would already have my credit card out ordering one of those!

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');