• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***** Need some help/info Please! *****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***** Need some help/info Please! *****

okay, I just finished painting an entire truck with base/clear, and I wet sanded through 2000 grit. i have the following products:

- medium cut cleaner
    - fine cut cleaner
    - swirl remover 2.0
    - machine glaze
    - cleaner wax

which of these products do i want to use? and in what order?
    I am using a cheap 10" da buffer I got from o'reilly, and 3 different covers/pads..

Re: ***** Need some help/info Please! *****

You will most likely not be able to do much as far as removing the sanding marks with your cheap 10" orbital. You would be much better served using at least a Dual Action polisher and appropriate buffing pads, but even then it will take some work to remove the marks.

Comment

any suggestions on a setup less than 100$??

are the buffing compounds I have going to work with the right setup? or should i take them back and get something else?

Comment

For effective sand mark removal you need a rotary buffer with either wool or foam cutting pad and M105/M95 compound. You can get some rotary machines below $100 at Amazon. I saw Black & Decker one for around $80 with speed 1000-3000 rpm. Better buffers like Makita 9227 and Dewalt 849 cost closer to $200. As speed setting you need between 1200-1500 rpm for compound sand mark removal. Foam cutting pad creates a lot of heat so check it out frequently. Follow with M205/M80 Polish.
        Sometimes you can remove 2000 grit sand marks with DA polisher but it's not guaranteed.

Comment

thankyou, great info, I am very new to this, is there a big difference between buffers? or would pad selection be a bigger concern as long as you have the right speed? Also would you think i could get away wtih a foam cutting pad if i wet sanded with a 2500, or would you just use a wool pad after the 2000?

Comment

Wool pads cut faster but create more swirls. Foam cutting pads overheat easily after intense work so you may burn your paint. Both should be fine in your case. I like W4000 but it's not suitable for tight areas because of its 8" diameter.
            Better rotary buffers guarantee smooth work and steady speeds. Many people like Makita 9227 because the speed range starts at 600 rpm which is great for slow polishing or waxing. If you want a light rotary buffer Flex has some really good models however German technology costs more.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
              For effective sand mark removal you need a rotary buffer with either wool or foam cutting pad and M105/M95 compound. You can get some rotary machines below $100 at Amazon. I saw Black & Decker one for around $80 with speed 1000-3000 rpm. Better buffers like Makita 9227 and Dewalt 849 cost closer to $200. As speed setting you need between 1200-1500 rpm for compound sand mark removal. Foam cutting pad creates a lot of heat so check it out frequently. Follow with M205/M80 Polish.
              Sometimes you can remove 2000 grit sand marks with DA polisher but it's not guaranteed.
              And that's a real good way for him to destroy his new paint job since he doesn't have experience using a rotary.

A DA can and will remove 2000 grit sanding marks using M105.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbin1 View Post
                And that's a real good way for him to destroy his new paint job since he doesn't have experience using a rotary.

A DA can and will remove 2000 grit sanding marks using M105.
                Especially if you attached a W7207 cutting pad.
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Good luck with trying to remove 2000 grit sand marks with DA polisher. I spoke to Meguiar's Customer Service and they recommend 100% to go with rotary. Using DA after wet sanding is a waste of time and results won't be as good as after rotary.

Comment

Good luck with trying to remove 2000 grit sand marks with DA polisher. I spoke to Meguiar's Customer Service and they recommend 100% to go with rotary. Using DA after wet sanding is a waste of time and results won't be as good as after rotary.
                    Well you talked to the wrong person then because its been proven time and time again that it can be done with zero issues and excellent results.

Comment

Moving the DA very slowly with the right amount of pressure and working a small section at a time will result in the removal of 2000 grit sanding marks.

The amount of correction that can be had with UC and a W8207 pad is astonishing enough and many of the scratches it removes are deeper than 2000 grit sanding marks.

Attacking this with M105 or even M95 with a W7207 cutting pad at speed 5 or even 6 will remove these marks. Speed 6 is not recommended but in circumstances like this, it proves very useful.

Just be careful to watch the heat buildup on the cutting pad as the oscillating motion against the backing plate plus the added friction of the cutting pad against the surface can generate enough heat to actually melt the laminated backing. Just use commone sense and check the pad after each application.
                      Tedrow's Detailing
                      845-642-1698
                      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Another pad to think about is the Surbuf pads.

Comment

Two compounds can remove 1200 grit sand marks or finer: M105 and M95. They both should be used with cutting pads and cutting pads are not suitable for DA polishers. Where the cutting action is gonna come from on DA?
                          The vehicle has been already wet sanded so to effectively remove the sanding marks rotary buffer is needed. Only direct driven machine has ability to effectively cut/ level these areas.

Comment

Two compounds can remove 1200 grit sand marks or finer: M105 and M95. They both should be used with cutting pads and cutting pads are not suitable for DA polishers. Where the cutting action is gonna come from on DA?
                            The vehicle has been already wet sanded so to effectively remove the sanding marks rotary buffer is needed. Only direct driven machine has ability to effectively cut/ level these areas.
                            Wow you really need to do a little bit more research on DA polishers and pads. BTW the Flex 3401 is a direct drive DA...

I'm not going to sit here and argue any further about this. A DA, direct drive or not WILL remove the sanding marks.

garrick, please do not try a rotary on your new paint job. They are not something that you can just pick up and use without the know how. One little mistake and you will burn though the paint in no time flat.

Comment

It looks like we don't need rotary buffers in our lives. DAs can do it all.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');