• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint cleaned always before waxing or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint cleaned always before waxing or not?

do you clean paint every time before appliying a wax and or polish, me personally, i think i always have to clean paint before application no matter how flawless it is, it just gives me that extra bit of satisfaction.
    no - doesn't matter as long as paint already in excellent condition
    53.85%
    yes - it gives compete satisfaction to apply a wax and or polsih
    41.03%
    don't know - not really bothered
    5.13%

Re: paint cleaned always before waxing or not?

Just to clarify: when you say "clean," what precisely do you mean?
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

i mean using a cleaner polish to remove defects or claying, basically anything before waxing..

Comment

Thanks, then my answer is no. I will generally polish or clean the paint on my two vehicles in spring and fall. Between these times, I will wax as needed or as the spirit inspires. I will occasionally use a cleaner wax (M20 is my current favorite) if water spots appear or if the paint loses clarity; but otherwise I just use my regular waxes.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

I don't polish it every time I wax. Maybe once or twice a year, depending on what kind of condition the car is in. I would say the same thing for claying. I only clay 2x a year and that's all I recommend for my customers.
          ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
          www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
          (352) 897-0050

Comment

I would also say no.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ah, the timeless question. I always clay before a wax. #1 wax works better when it's applied to paint. #2 just imagine what those contaminants can do to your finish if it kicks off the paint and sticks onto your waxing pad/applicator.

Comment

I at least clay every time before an application of wax or sealant.
                Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

If you wash regularly (weekly or close to it), and use a cleaner wax once every month to two months, then you are cleaning the paint fairly well. I clay maybe once every several months on my personal car, as I garage it and keep it clean so little bonds to the paint.

As for polish, I am at two years since I last polished, and my car is still about 90% swirl free. I think it is time for a single pass of M205 via rotary to get back to perfection

Comment

I like to put a coat of #7 on before I wax. It makes the wax go on real nice an looks great. I did #7 followed by NXT on white and it really made it shine. I only clean it if I see some defects that I want to remove. Clay when it starts feeling rough.

Comment

At bare minimum I wash the paint with soap and water. Sometimes I use the Ultimate Wash/Wax between wax applications. I really like the UWW, especially how it smells.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');