• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 Dodge Stealth Restoration (HD Jet Black Reflection Shots Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Dodge Stealth Restoration (HD Jet Black Reflection Shots Inside)

To start off, I'm only 19 and was given this car a few years ago. It was one of the greatest things that ever happened to me. Then I stumbled upon this site and saw all the work that could be done to make a car look brand new, all without new plastic trimmings or a paint job. So I decided to learn using this site off and on for about a couple years before I finally decided to dedicate a good portion of this summer to apply these techniques to my car.

There were a few setbacks however, as I had enough spare cash to afford a G110 V2 buffer, but right before I was going to get it, some one hit my car in a parking lot and left leaving no note or anything.

After setting me back a new paint job and some time to gain some spare cash for a buffer, I was finally ready again to get it and begin working. Then I was rear ended by a drunk driver. I have no pictures, but fortunately his insurance paid for it and it was fixable so I got a new paint job for free. After thinking I was finally clear of all problems, a beaver sprints into the middle of the road and I had no time to avoid it. It got grinded by the undercarriage as its very low and the end result was a popped right rear tire and a broken side skirt(not dented as its made of polyurethane). After that I just parked the car and sat there laughing for the longest time thinking "REALLY?" I was beginning to think I'd never get my chance to work on my car as I had no money once again. Thank god for parents though as when my birthday came around they surprised me with the buffer. After picking up some other products I was finally ready to begin:

My goal was to get this car in show car condition and have absolutely NOTHING wrong with it cosmetically.

First thing was to fix every part of the car that was either worn out or broken.

I started with the headlights as they are glass so they avoid the yellow hazing situation, but are prone to fill with condensation that leaves waterspots and such. The only way to open them was to use a heat gun, then clean the inside, and finally put them together again and seal them with silicone sealant to prevent this again in the future.

You'll be able to see the end result on the car further down.

Next up was the notorious dash vents on the car that are known for cracking. I had to pull the dash to do this, but I wanted to check the work that had been done on this car to install an autostart and stereo system to make sure all bolts etc. were still there. I also wanted to seal all cracks in the air conditioner piping so I went at it.

What I found was almost 20 screws and bolts missing. Some on kinda important things, like the air bag which only had 2/4 bolts holding it on.

Finally, these things are no longer cracked and nasty looking.

After that, I opened both door panels to stabilize everything that was rattling as it was annoying while driving.

As I was back there I changed out both window switches as the pictures on the switches had been scratched off from wear and tear.

I then coated them with Meguiars supreme shine.

I then worked on the trunk area and cleaned up the spare tire which was brown and then sanded and spray painted some parts that were rusted back there so everything is now black and clean.

Some other jobs I did that I don't have pictures for:
    -replaced spoiler light
    -took out rear seats and rear interior panels to get to rear speakers and plugged them in (they got shaken loose over the years)
    -installed tint felt on door panels
    -took out both seats and sprayed mechanical parts with WD-40 to stop them from squeaking
    -replaced worn out plastic parts to seats

Now that everything was replaced or repaired, I moved on to the body work, which I'll type up in a bit.

Re: 1994 Dodge Stealth Restoration (HD Jet Black Reflection Shots Inside)

First off, the before pictures:

Pay close attention to the back window in this and the other windows in other pictures as I got a new tint after detailing the car.

As you can see, there were rotary holos from the paint job, swirls all over the place, and very deep water spots. The windows were the worst though as 15 or so years of water spots had accumulated:

This is after a wash too and this is the way all the windows were.

Next up the afters

Comment

The process:
      Paint:
      -Wash with NXT car soap
      -Clay using quik detailer
      -Cutting pad with UC for deep water spot areas(any flat surface)
      -Polish pad with UC for the other areas
      -Finishing pad with DC polish
      -Finishing pad with NXT 2.0 Tech Wax

Tires:
      -Mothers chrome polish for rims
      -Meguiars tire gel for tires
      -Some tire cleaner in a white spray bottle and red text (sorry forgot the name)
      -Steel wool 0000 and Rubbing compound for inside rims

Exhaust pipes:
      -Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish

Engine:
      -Supreme Shine
      -Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish
      -steel wool 0000 with Barkeeper's friend to take off rust

Rubber Trimmings and Pieces:
      -Supreme Shine

Interior:
      -Leather CPR to condition leather parts
      -Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Conditioner(used it because it has sun protection)
      -Supreme Shine for Vinyl(which comprises most of interior)
      -Some Carpet Cleaner for Carpet

Windows, Side Mirrors, and Headlights:
      -Steel Wool 0000 with Meguiar's Rubbing Compound
      -NXT Glass Cleaner for inside windows
      -RainX for outside

Tailights and other Lights:
      -PlastX

Comment

Comment

99% of the defects came out. This was one of the few bad areas where I didn't get 100% correction, but for the worst area on the car, I'd say this isn't half bad.

The steel wool worked so well that I was able to get off every last water spot and now the glass matches the reflectiveness of the paint.

Hard to believe this is a reflection, huh?

Compared to the before of this shot, this is a definite improvement.

Put the power cord next to it to test how reflective it is

After all that work, it just puts a smile on my face to see that the rims reflect onto the ground.

The inside was not neglected either(it used to be brown).

Ironically, the Stealth now blends in horribly with its surroundings due to the job I've done

Overall, using the internet I've managed to learn how to take apart my car and detail it properly and after over 100 hours of work, the end result is a show car in perfect condition.

Comment

Can someone delete my 4th post with fewer after pictures. They are duplicates that are found in my 5th post.

Comment

That is some incredible work! The car looks like a show car now indeed!

Comment

That is absolutely a total makeover. The differences are tremendous. You should be very proud of your work. Fantastic job. Way to go.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

All that work really paid off. You did a great job on getting that car to show quality.
                  Imagine Auto Detailing

Comment

All I can say is wow! What an incredible undertaking! Great job!
                    Tedrow's Detailing
                    845-642-1698
                    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

i always liked the stealth.. esp in black. when you got into your accidents, by then, did the whole car have a fresh coat of paint? or just the front end and the rear end? neways. the before didn't look that bad at all, and your results pretty typical. great work though.. especially on the rust spots, wheels, and muffler tips.. i HATE cleaning metal with a passion!

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
                        the before didn't look that bad at all, and your results pretty typical
                        The paint was new

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Phenomenal work!!! To the unknowing, they would never believe that car was 16 years old!! I'm jealous. I've always liked the Stealths and 3000GTs. Lucky guy.

Colin
                            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
                              i always liked the stealth.. esp in black. when you got into your accidents, by then, did the whole car have a fresh coat of paint? or just the front end and the rear end? neways. the before didn't look that bad at all, and your results pretty typical. great work though.. especially on the rust spots, wheels, and muffler tips.. i HATE cleaning metal with a passion!
                              Just the front and rear bumper got a new paint job. Yeah, the paint was in pretty good condition to start with. All the glass on the other hand was a nightmare and took about 6 hours to scrape all the water spots off. The buffing was definitely the funnest part for me as it was much less work than taking the car apart to fix everything. On the plus side though, I saved myself well over a thousand dollars in labor doing that, but it took awhile as I was the only one working on it and had no clue what I was doing. Thank you internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');