• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to using a DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to using a DA

Hey guys, just bought my DA and used it for the first time yesterday. I certainly have a lot of learning/practice to do with this thing!

Luckily my hood was going in to get repainted today so I got to experiment with the hood a bit which was very helpful. (tried to take pictures but there was NO sun out and just couldn't capture anything)

So anyways, I've got a few questions after my first attempt.

1) The curves in the car are definitely an issue. I read Mike Stoop's DA 101 thread and of course it's suggested to use the 4" pads on the smaller areas. Will working by hand be a lot worse than using the DA? If I'm trying to just use my 5'5" pads, the pad seems to stop rotating, but it still moving - Is it still doing any paint correction?

2) I'm afraid the product is drying too much before I buff it off as it requires a good amount of elbow grease. I'm using the normal amount of product - Usually a big "X" or a swirl covering the pad. Working about 4 passes, usually 2 from left to right and 2 from front to back with the last one usually being less pressure. If the product seems to be drying, should I cut down to just 2 or 3 passes?

3) Is it okay to use the same towel to buff off all the products I'm using?

4) I cut the hood in 4 quarters. Used M105 on one, SwirlX on one, and M105 followed by M205 on another. All 3 looked "hazed" compared to the finish prior and the addition of M205 didn't help that section much. All 4 looked like they removed some of the scratches/swirls though with SwirlX being a bit less than the other 2. Is the "hazing" normal? Will NXT bring the paint back to shine?

5) What a pain to do the lower panels! Oh wait, that's not a question

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: New to using a DA

Give this a read through again: D/A Buffing 101 – An Introduction to the G110v2 (and similar)

Depending on the ambient temperature and the paint temperature, the product may dry quickly. Although I have used both M205 and Swirlx on 90 degree days, in the sun, on red and black paint with no problems.

Also give this a read through: Sticky: The Challenge of Delicate Paint
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Re: New to using a DA

It was cool and breezy. Maybe 60 degrees and no sun.

Seems like I need to pick up some ColorX and give that a shot after SwirlX. Although I thought something like M205 would have a similar effect on a finishing pad at speed 4?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');