• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy Oxidation Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Oxidation Removal

Hello, I've been researching what Meguiar's products to use to restore the original (18 year old!) paint job on my truck and here is what I have in mind..

#1 Clay truck with Smooth Surface Kit
    #2 Apply Ultimate Compound
    #3 Apply ColorX
    #4 Apply NXT Tech Wax

From what I know, this truck has a Single Stage (No clearcoat) Dark Mocha/Medium Mocha metallic paint job (2-tone) and the Dark Mocha obviously faded the worst. This truck is a '92 and it appears nobody ever cared about the exterior appearance. From what I can tell, there must have been an accident at some point in time as the hood was replaced, and repainted badly. It looks great in the pictures, but since they were taken (March of this year) the clear coat has peeled significantly.

Anyways, my goal is to restore the heavily oxidized paint. The middle color (Medium Mocha metallic) isn't nearly as oxidized as the 2-tone color (Dark Mocha metallic), but of course I will still do the entire truck.

Will the UC be too aggressive for this old paint? If so then should I just try the ColorX? By the way I do not own a buffer/polisher, so I am going to do this by hand. Then I'm thinking of going with the Tech Wax after.

Maybe someday I'll get a chance to work on fixing this dent.. anyways only reason I took a picture of it was just to show the paint oxidation.

The roof is the worst. It is extremely oxidized, it almost looks white.

So, any thoughts/suggestions/ideas? If needed, I can take some new pictures out in the sun tomorrow.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Heavy Oxidation Removal

Read this article first; http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...sationId=21363

It may be more effort than you want to invest, but you can't argue with the results.
    Using an abrasive product like UC will help, but adding the oils contained in products such as M07 or M80 will probably help more. I tried a multitude of compounds, polishes and glazes on the dull silver roof of my El Camino without success. Force-feeding M07 into the paint first and polishing after made all the difference. I know it sounds contrary to usual procedure, but it definitely works.

Check out my pics:http://www.flickr.com/photos/1578884...ream/lightbox/

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post

It may be more effort than you want to invest, but you can't argue with the results.
      Using an abrasive product like UC will help, but adding the oils contained in products such as M07 or M80 will probably help more. I tried a multitude of compounds, polishes and glazes on the dull silver roof of my El Camino without success. Force-feeding M07 into the paint first and polishing after made all the difference. I know it sounds contrary to usual procedure, but it definitely works.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post

Bill
        Thanks for the article.

Did you ever try using UC or ColorX? I might try what you did, as it appeared to turn out very nice on your El Camino.

Comment

No, I didn't try either. I tried over a dozen products such as 3M's Perfect-It compound and Foam Pad glaze, M02, M03, M04, M09 and a host of other glazes, polishes, waxes and compounds. All of them just seemed to be absorbed into the paint with no improvement. I was about to write it off as unrestorable.
          After 3 vigorous applications of M07, including an overnighter, some change became apparent. After another M07 treatment, some M26 and M80 we had gloss. If yours is not as bad as mine, you might possibly try some M80 alone. Maybe you can get lucky.
          The important ingredient, IMO, is the oil content. That's what made the difference in my job. I've been using M07 for over 30 years, but always as the second-last step before the LSP, never as the first step in a restoration. I don't know why it works, but I sure do know that it does work.

Bill

Comment

Dont do the whole truck of course, until a test spot works out.

Ultimate Compound, and a pure polish like DC Polish or #7 can certainly go on some test spots in different orders, and see what works.

You may even find it better to go UC then clay, if there is just too much gunk on the surface.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Dont do the whole truck of course, until a test spot works out.

Ultimate Compound, and a pure polish like DC Polish or #7 can certainly go on some test spots in different orders, and see what works.

You may even find it better to go UC then clay, if there is just too much gunk on the surface.
              Have never used it that way round. I was curious if that would work.

Murr1525, have tried this on many cars?. I would imagine saves you going through clay bars like there is no tomorrow

Comment

I have never had too... but there are no cars that old/exposed, etc among mine, family, gf's, etc. Anything old is at least garaged or a little cared for.

But yeah, no need to waste clay if it is a real bad surface. If it is real bad from exposure (or race tracks), can certainly get the dirt off first. Though you may want to use a cleaner again after as well.

Comment

Thanks for the help so far guys! Just curious.. does anybody have any before and after pictures of restoring oxidized paint? Bill I did see your pictures, but the oxidized paint on that El Camino doesn't look nearly as bad as mine.

Comment

M07 and M80 are better suited to single stage paints IMO. Try them on a test spot(s) first and see how you go.

Don't use the UC if you don't need to...
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

OK so now I'm narrowed down to using M07, M80, or ColorX. Since ColorX's main purpose is basically to restore color/remove oxidation, wouldn't this be the best option?

Comment

ColorX may be a good place to start and see how it does on a few spots. If that's not doing it move up to M80. It's some really nice stuff, and like others have stated, great for single stage paints.
                        Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
                        Personalized Detailing

Comment

ColorX is an all in one, so while it can do it all, it tends to lose a little a little of each step as well.

You will get the better cleaning from something more dedicated to cleaning, like #80, and more polishing oils from a pure polish like #7, etc.

However, working by hand, I am not really sure #80 is the best option, but nothing wrong with trying it out.

Comment

Thanks so much for all of the help guys! Sorry I'm just new to this haha

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');