• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fiji Blue Pearl 2006 Acura TSX w/ 79K miles: MAJOR CLEANING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiji Blue Pearl 2006 Acura TSX w/ 79K miles: MAJOR CLEANING!

It has to be said that this is one of the filthiest cars I've ever worked on. Albeit the fact that there have been a lot worse that I've seen in the forums here, this is a personal record for me.

A week prior to yesterday, the owner's mother (who lives 2 houses down from me) called me saying that she needed her oldest daughter's car detailed ASAP. The mom explained that the car needed some serious help and that her daughter hardly ever took it to the car wash, much less had her new husband do it for her. Not really knowing what I was about to get into, we scheduled the appointment, and so the story begins.

The car was dropped off to me at 9:00 AM yesterday, and I wasted no time giving the TSX and thorough evaluation and was rather disgusted by some of the things I found. However, before I got to work, I had to get the before pictures first, so prepare yourself because this could get ugly (especially for you Acura/ Honda fans).

Alright, so now the cleaning begins.

Exterior Process:
    Before I actually started on the actual body of the Acura, I shot each of the wheels with Hot Rims AWC, agitated it, and then let it work for about 15-20 seconds, then rinsed. After hosing off the AWC, I neutralized the finish with Deep Crystal Car Wash and rinsed. I was pleased with it so far, but now the real challenge began, getting rid of all that grime and dirt that had slung all over the car.

I mixed up the traditional 2 bucket method, using Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo/ Conditioner as my weapon of choice. Before I actually began using the GC, I blasted the entire car down with a pressure washer, in an effort to clear most of the looser debris and dirt. It worked to some effect, but the GC was the real hero in this. It cleared away ALL of the dirt on every inch of that car. In addition to that, I removed the bugs from the front by just using some hot water, Dawn, and a two sided detailing sponge with a slightly rough edge. I dried the car off using Water Magnets and instantly the color came back. The color really began to show through and even after just a wash, and to most eyes, it already looked like a million bucks. I wasn't going to stop there by a long shot.

I pulled the car into the garage and inspected for swirls, RIDS, and various other defects. As far as swirls and oxidation goes, there was none to be seen to my amazement. On the other hand, there were RIDS EVERYWHERE! Most of them looked like the traditional case of setting a purse, bag, backpack, etc. on the roof and trunk mainly. Before I broke out the compounds, I clayed the entire car using the Smooth Surface Clay and the traditional Quik Detailer as lube. Once I felt the car was perfectly smooth as glass, I attacked the RIDS. Using a combo of Ultimate Compound and ScratchX 2.0, I managed to remove some of the lesser deep scratches and RIDS, but a lot still remained. Being a DD, I wasn't too concerned about total perfection, but I wanted it to be close enough.

After observing a very smooth sheen and relatively good reflection, I skipped on the Deep Crystal Polish and went straight for my trusty, handy box of NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and applied 2 thin coats in 30 minute successions, to allow a solid cure. Once all the wax had cured, I sealed each of the wheels with Cleaner Wax and gave the tires a good coat of Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel. As an added bonus, I polished out each of the exhaust tips to a beautiful shine with Hot Rims: Mag and Aluminum Polish. I also cleaned each of the windows using Eagle One: 20/20 Glass Cleaner.

Interior Process:
    The interior of this Acura was a total war zone. The owner's 5 year old son had made an absolute WRECK of the back seat, mainly by throwing cereal all over the place, and spilling various drinks all over the carpet and leather seats. Before I did anything else, I made sure that there was nothing valuable that I could possibly **** up with my RIGID Shop Vac. To put this next process lightly, you might say I sucked the very life out of those carpets, due to all the vacuuming that needed to be done. Pet hair, human hair, cereal, paper...you name it, I guarantee you I sucked it up inside that vacuum.

I then treated each of the carpet mats to a dry brush and then sprayed them down with Tuff Stuff Foam Carpet Cleaner and agitated. Using a stiff-bristled interior brush on the entire floor of the car certainly helped as well. After I was assured that the carpets were as clean as could be, I moved on to the leather seats and dash. Using an aerosol can of Dust-Off, I blew off the whole dash, gauge bezel, and doors, and then applied a good amount of Supreme Shine: Hi Gloss Dash Protectant to give it a good sheen.

The black leather seats and leather door panel pieces were treated with Gold Class: Rich Leather Cleaner/ Conditioner (spray) and the rest of the door panels were treated with Supreme Shine: Hi Gloss Protectant. For the stains in the seats, some of the leather cleaner and a good ol' toothbrush did just fine.

Extras:
    The couple of bonuses I decided to add to this car, was to clean out that nasty child's booster seat in the back and also wipe down that nasty engine bay.

Seeing that the orange and gray cover of the child's seat was removable, I just simply pulled it off, and ran it through my washing machine and dryer. Turned out ok, but still was stained a little bit, and a little Tuff Stuff took care of the rest.

As for the 2.4L DOHC I-4, I used some QD and just gave it a quick wipe down and that pretty much took care of that.

So after reading all of that description, I'm pretty sure you're wanting to see what all that hard work led up to.

Well here's your answer:

Exterior

Interior

I was very pleased with how this Acura turned out and both the owner, and the owner's mother were VERY impressed. Take care everyone!

Bobby Johnson
    Owner/ Founder:Carchitects Auto Detailing

"When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
    When Barry gives you Meguiar's, you get one HECK OF A SHINE!"

Re: Fiji Blue Pearl 2006 Acura TSX w/ 79K miles: MAJOR CLEANING!

Looks pretty good.

Two things. First, what's up with the wheel wells? They still look really dirty to me. Or would they just not come clean?

Second, when you conditioned the seats, did you do the whole seat or just the front of the seat? Looked to me like there were some spots that got missed.

Sorry if I sound critical, as I don't mean to be. Big improvement over what it was before, I'll say that!
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Holy cow, what a improvement. The Acura was a mess. Great work. I bet the daughter was very happy with your work. Good job.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
        Looks pretty good.

Two things. First, what's up with the wheel wells? They still look really dirty to me. Or would they just not come clean?

Second, when you conditioned the seats, did you do the whole seat or just the front of the seat? Looked to me like there were some spots that got missed.

Sorry if I sound critical, as I don't mean to be. Big improvement over what it was before, I'll say that!
        To be honest, the wheel wells could have looked better. I did have a crack at washing them down with DC Car Wash but to no avail. I'm looking into getting some of the products in the Detailer line, like Wheel Brightener, APC, Super Degreaser, and Hyper Dressing to focus more on things like that.

As for the seats, I used the GC Rich Leather Cleaner/ Conditioner in the spray form. It rather unwieldy compared to the lotion and wipes. I did get all of the seats, however due to the sunlight, it does make them look very unclean. Bearing in mind that the interior was a total wreck, I'm suprised I got any results at all.

Comment

Certainly a good step in the right direction on that car.

You can use something like Hot Shine Tire Gel to coat the wheel wells...it works very well.
          Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
          Houston Area Mobile Detailing
          www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Originally posted by FinalTouchDetail View Post
            Certainly a good step in the right direction on that car.

You can use something like Hot Shine Tire Gel to coat the wheel wells...it works very well.
            Spraying some HD or AsD in there after a good cleaning would be a bit easier.

I also would have cleaned the seats with APC and a small brush prior to applying any leather cleaner/conditoners.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
              Spraying some HD or AsD in there after a good cleaning would be a bit easier.

I also would have cleaned the seats with APC and a small brush prior to applying any leather cleaner/conditoners.
              I wish I knew of any local stores that carried that kind of line up. So far, all I can find are things in the Consumer line, and sometimes the Professional series, but I've yet to find a local store in DFW that carries the Detailer line. I'm wanting some APC, HD/ ASD, SD, and stuff like that to add to my arsenal of supplies.

Comment

When looking through the pictures, the booster seat in the back told all - reasonably clean interiors and little kids never get along very well (and the kid always wins!).

Good job at cleaning everything up!
                .::.::.::.::.::.
                Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

That's a great turnaround, car looks very nice. As for your problem with finding supplies, I'm sure you have already heard of them but ADS carries pretty much everything you will need. http://autodetailingsolutions.com

Comment

Great turnaround. If that's the worst vehicle you've cleaned, you're a lucky man!!! I wish I could say the same.

Colin
                    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');