• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kid of Porter Cable pads are needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kid of Porter Cable pads are needed?

Hey guys,
    I applied NXT by hand to my car (a couple of before pics in my gallery)that did a fantastic job of taking out the swirls. But there are still some light scratches and a couple of swirls that are visible in sunlight. I bought a Porter Cable (Model # 7424), what can I apply before NXT to take those scratches out? Maybe ScratchX?What kind of pads should I buy?
    Thanks!

Hi avs,

I originally posted this in Detailing 101, it should answer most of your questions.

New forum Member with a question or two...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Hi BlackeneD,

Welcome to Meguiar’s Online Forums!

Question: When you say you have an orbital buffer, do you mean the traditional style with a 10” to 11” in bonnet/pad? Or are your referring to a porter cable dual action polisher like this one,

The above is the Meguiar’s G-100 Dual Action Polisher made for Meguiar’s by Porter Cable. On the Meguiar’s website, G-100a

This type of dual action polisher, technically also an orbital polisher is much more effective at removing scratches and swirls then the larger traditional orbital buffer. Plus, it’s small, lightweight, and you can change between foam pads with the Velcro backing plate.

I real successful system for removing the scratches in a finish like yours would be to use the dual action polisher with Meguiar’s W-8006 foam polishing pad and the #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Go over the entire car with this combination of products and then follow with your favorite wax. If you haven’t tried the Tech Wax, I would highly recommend applying two thin coats of this new wax over your Corvette after the #83 step. Your results will look awesome!

As far as the chip repair goes, hopefully someone else will chime in on this one, I prefer to do the big stuff, (polishing paint), chip repair is difficult at best. Plus I working on uploading some photo’s to the gallery for an event we held this weekend.

Hope this helps…

Mike
    Basically you want to get your hand on at least 2 W-8006 foam polishing pad and some Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

Use the W-8006 with the #83 DACP with your PC on about the 4.0 to 5.0 setting and go over your entire finish working each section until the product is fully broken down, but not to a dry buff. Then remove with either clean, soft 100% cotton towels, or microfiber polishing cloths and then apply the Tech Wax.

Apply a second coat if possible at least 12 hours later.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Meguiar's Online!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I totally forgot about doing a search

Just to clarify, the second w-8006 pad is used to apply NXT or do I need 2 pads to apply the DACP for some reason?

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi avs,

The second pad is to apply the Tech Wax, you could also use a W-9006, it is a lot softer and probably a better choice for applying your last step product.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just to chime in here,

To anyone thinking about purchasing a porter cable, if you can hold off your purchase until sometime next week, Meguiar's is putting together a Package Deal for members of Meguiar's Online which will bundle everything you need into one package that includes the G-100a with it's lifetime warranty for a price that cannot be beat!

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');