• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cure for M105's short working time and dusting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cure for M105's short working time and dusting issues

As you all know M105 is an a staple in many peoples arsenal. It has the ability to quickly remove heavy defects while finishing up almost LSP ready, but it also has its draw backs. First off , M105 has an extremely short working time and if you over work the product, the residue dries on like cement. Secondly M105 dusts like crazy.

With M105, many people use the KBM method of pad priming and using a mist of water to reactive/relubricate the polish once it has been worked. Originally using a mist of water was only for the rotary version of the KBM but it shifted to the DA version. I dont know about anybody else but on a DA the M105+water has never worked out too well for me but on the rotary it was perfect.

The solution/alternative I've found that works better than water as a lubricate is mineral oil(marked as baby oil in the US.) I first found out about this trick when I ran into a G37 with the notorious stick clear coat. No matter what I used or did the polishes I used would gum up on me. I eventually did finished up the car and afterwards searched the forums for a solution to this as I knew I could run into this issue again in the future. In doing so I found out about using mineral oil as a spray lubricate. So, naturally when the car returned for a follow up maintenance wash took out came the buffer for a little testing. Could you have guessed it? It worked like a charm. Working time of M105 went from a few seconds to minutes. The lubrication was amazing and to top it off I noticed a dramatic reduction in dusting.

The use if mineral oil as a lubricate is not a new concept. I have found that Gloss-it has a product call EVP Prime which is a lubricating oil itself. Now I know people are wondering is there any down side of using mineral oil with M105 or is it compatible with foam pads and after some research I can it is perfectly safe.

According to the MSDS sheets on M105 avaible on the Meguiars website (LINK.) One of the ingredients used in M105 is Hydrotreated Distillate( CAS number 64742-46-7). Through further research I found Hydrotreated Distillate, specifically CAS 64742-46-7, is closely related and very similar as mineral oil.

Ok, since I got that covered I'll get into how it is used. First I found that using a small travel sized misting bottle to work extremely well. VS applying a small drop on the pad, the sprayer would evenly coat the entire pad.

-With a fresh pad, use to sprays of mineral oil to prime the pad for use.
    -Apply a circle of product to the face of the pad and spread it out on the paint. (With the mineral oil on the pad, you no longer have to worry about drying out the compound.)
    -Work M105 into the paint until the defects are removed as usual. (You will immediately notice the added lubricity/working time, very minimal/no dust, and very easily removed residue. This is counted as one cycle.)
    -Clean the face of the pad with a brush to removed spent polish/abraded paint and use a cotton towel to remove the remanding residue in the pad(Cleaning your pad on-the-fly.)
    -Reapply an addition mist of mineral oil after 3 or 4 cycles or each new panel.

A quick mineral spirits wipedown will show that the defects are removed and not masked by the mineral oil.

Note: Do not use too much mineral oil as it can over lubricate the surface and cause the pad to essentially "hydroplane."

I have found after using this trick that I no longer need to use the KBM method with the DA(M105 only.) The (much) longer buffing cycle allows you to really work down those heavy defects but I guess it wouldn't hurt if you do use Kevin Brown Method.

I also made a little video demonstrating its lubricating/low dusting effect. This is an extreme case video showing how long you can easily work M105 using mineral oil as a lubricant(easily 16-17 passes.) Using a fresh orange pad I primed it with 2 sprays and a circle of M105. Notice at the end how easily the residue is buffed away.

Click the picture to play the video.
    Alan T.

Re: The Cure for M105's short working time and dusting issues

Very intresting, does priming the pad with oil reduce the abrasive side of M105 at all?? I'm just wondering because if it does reduce the effecacity of M105, would using UC solve the problem of dusting and working time? I'm gonna try it for sure next time I'll work with M105!! Thanks for the info!

Btw the video didn't work for me, error number 2048

Comment

Very interesting. I wish I heard of this for a Escalade I did a few months back. I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Edit : the video works now that i'm home. Just with the first couple of pass, you see that it's alot more easy to work with!

Comment

Great tip, Alan... Thanks!
          -Jake
          Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways. -Proverbs 28:6

Comment

Good work lasthope05. If a couple of spritz's of mineral oil/baby oil works for M105, then I think it would work the same way with D151. I have a problem with it dusting in a short amount of time.
            I hope some of the full time detailers give it a try this week and report in.
            I have a nasty car to do this coming weekend and want to know for myself.
            Again, good work.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the tip!

Wouldn't the mineral oil somwhat reduce the abrasiveness of M105? I'd think it would have to.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                Thanks for sharing the tip!

Wouldn't the mineral oil somwhat reduce the abrasiveness of M105? I'd think it would have to.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post

It might, depending on how much was used. If you were nearing the end of the buff cycle, would it matter

Comment

Folks may find of interest Kevin Brown's and Jason Rose's responses to the suggestion of employing mineral oil as a lubricant with M105.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

I totally forgot about this thread. . Haha

I have not notice an reduction in cut at all in using mineral oil but you only use a very small amount. If too much is use there could be problems with over lubrication and dramatic loss in cut.

Using a lubricating oil is not a new concept. Several people have used it in the past to combat sticky paints, and working in high humidity or temperatures. Gloss-it also has a lubricating oil made specifically to increase the working time of their polishes. (Gloss-it EVP Prime)

The issue of paint swelling and the false appearance of a corrected finish has also been brought up by both Kevin Brown and Jason Rose but I have not observed any negative side effects of defects returning.
                      Alan T.

Comment

Thanks for the link Al. There really is a great discussion happeneing over at AG about this topic.
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I confess that I'm not fond of M105. I much prefer Ultimate Compound--less dusting, longer work time. Of course, I'm not dealing with the kind of paint defects that the professionals have to face every day.
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                            I confess that I'm not fond of M105. I much prefer Ultimate Compound--less dusting, longer work time. Of course, I'm not dealing with the kind of paint defects that the professionals have to face every day.
                            In a perfect world, I would use M205 to correct everything. It has an amazing work time and is easy as pie to wipe away.

I think most would prefer the working properties of UC over M105, although in some cases that quick work cycle can be nice.

I recently did a rolled-on paint job under serious time contraints and had to cut and buff prematurely.

Not ONE product (I tried every single Meguiar's polish or compound) work on its own to even spread on the paint without almost immediately absorbing into the paint and drying.

I thought I was doomed, and then I mixed a polish high in oils WITH M105 and found the perfect combo.

Couple hours later, the good was flawless.

Sometimes you are forced to mess with perfection (M105, etc) as no two paints will react identically.

Overall, however, learning proper technique and using products per manufacture's suggestions will be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');