• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car waiting for its first wash-need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car waiting for its first wash-need advice

Hi all,
    I just got a brand new pearl white car last week. The car is still very new and the weather has been very nice recently(no rain). The paint is very smooth to touch(a 1 week old car). I am wondering, if I am going to apply M21, do I have to do any special wash to remove the slickness of new paint? I don't know what stuff they put on top of the coating in the manufacturing process to make the car paint so slicky. is it wax?

Should I put UQD first, then M21, and then UQD again?
    or
    M21 first, then UQD?
    Thanks in advance

Re: New car waiting for its first wash-need advice

Welcome to mol.

I would do the following:
    Wash
    clay
    cleaner wax

Even on new cars you should clay them. They can pick up a lot of above surface bonded contaminants in transport.

Assuming the vehicle is free of swirls. I would clean the paint with a cleaner wax. Then seal it with #21.

However, if there are swirls and scratches in the paint, after claying, I would use scratch-x to remove the defects. Do a test spot to see if the scratch-x works. You may have to step up to something else. Like Ultimate compound, if they are really bad. Remember you will have to use a lot of passion to remove any defects by hand.

Good luck.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Many options here, but Claying the car, even brand new ones is a must. If you do, you'll be surprised how much bonded thingies will be picked up from the supposedly brand new shiny paint. This will also remove (if any) wax thats been applied to the paint. So what you can do is wash (your choice which megs car wash to use), clay, if the paint is scratch free you can apply deep crystal polish then M21. I'd still get the cleaner wax especially if you don't have sufficient time to do the multi step process.

And, get the ultimate quik detailer or ultimate quick wax. Highly recommended for in-between-waxing or washing.

If by 2011 you run out of M21, get the new Meguiars Ultimate wax.

Comment

Oh, and i think these new cars are "detailed" or so by the dealership. Mike phillipps actually has an article here somewhere I THINK, called DISO= Dealer installed swirl option.. It shows what these so called detailers put in a car's paint.. They buff the car, apply some glaze then wax.. after a couple of weeks, washes, and more wahes, the glaze/oils get washed away, leaving lots of horrific swirls.. I hope you get to read it, i hope the dealership didn't do anything like that to your car..

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
          Welcome to mol.

I would do the following:
          Wash
          clay
          cleaner wax
          +1

Almost all new car paints are already contaminated. If you are on a budget, and wanted to get your NEW car protected right away, try getting Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

This is of course after washing your car. In this box, you have almost everything: clay to remove contaminants, quick detailer as lube, microfiber towel for wiping, and sample of CleanerWax.

Comment

Enjoy the whole detailing experience. The closer you get to the end of the whole detailing job, you will see the rewards of the hours you spent. Its also a good workout! Spray wax/detailer can extend your paint's protection.

As for the scrach-X 2.0, get one and keep it in your car. As nice as your car is now, expect scratches to appear (from other people's neglegence, bad luck, etc.) as the months and years come. Get one because scratches are inevitable..

Comment

A dealership is how I got started in this business. You are absolutely going to want to clay the car to begin with. That way, you can get a clean and fresh surface to evaluate what kind of shape your paint is in. Nine times out of ten, a dealer will install terrible swirls. Most use an automatic car wash, cheap products, and untrained hourly workers. Go ahead and prepare for swirl removal. Beyond that, I am just going to parrot what others are saying in recommending either swirlx or UC.
              Here is a great resource for you:
              ChrisThompsonsCustom@gmail.com
              www.ChrisThompsonsCustom.webs.com
              (352) 897-0050

Comment

If there are light swirls, swirlX is the way to go. For me.. Very nice to use, even by hand. Very easy to use (vs. conventional compounds), just apply with a foam applicator and apply. As you work it in, the abrasives break down leaving a somewhat wet film that has to be removed while wet. Very user friendly, not only can you see it as it breaks down, you can feel and HEAR it working. I recently tried out the sample ultimate compound, and while its easy too, its a bit harder to work with. It leaves a smooth finish, but on slightly softer paint it may cause hazing if not too careful.. You can get these 2 compounds, UC followed by swirlX will give you a smooth, shiny, virtually blemish/scratch free finish.

Follow it up with some m21, and you'll have an awesome car. Or some NXT 2.0, or gold class Carnauba Plus.

Comment

wao~ thats scarry to hear that new cars have swirls installed by dealers already. looks like I am going to clay the car also in this first car wash.
                  It is hard to see the defects of the paint because the car is white, is there any way to inspect the car condition?

I am very new to detailing. Thinking to get the following items to start with.

M21
                  UQD
                  clearner wax
                  clay kit

here is the process I have in mind:
                  wash car -->dry -->clay-->clearner wax-->M21-->12hrs later-->
                  UQD

Does it sound ok? so which step should i introduce swril removal and what producs do you recommand for white cars? I only have 2 freely moving hands with no machine

many thanks in advance.

by the way, I have armor car wash liquid with fax fomula in it already, it is ok to use?

Comment

Being a light colored car, the defects (if there are any) can be seen at certain angles and lighting conditions. Detailers have this flashlight kind of thing to be able to see the defects or scratches.. I'd use a powerful flashlight as a substitute to the ones used by pros. Use that and explore different angles of projection on your car to see if indeed there are defects.

OK, you read in this thread about swirlX/ult. compound, etc. for swirl removal. We're not telling you to buy one of those immediately since you may be lucky enough to have a good swirl free finish or minimal swirling. Your detailing arsenal is more than good enough. Check out the paint first, and maybe the cleaner wax (CLEANS, polishes, and protects) may have enough muscle to remove very light imperfections.

There shouldn't be any problems with armor all car wash. Its not a bad car wash (even if its not a meguiars product). The problem you'll encounter is if you use a detergent thats too strong or not designed for car paints (like laundry or dishwashing detergent). Oh, do you mean wax formula? again i think the wax in it is only for in between waxing type or booster type of carwash. Ultimately, a rewax is the best way to protect your finish..

All things egual, white or lighter colored paint is easier than dark paint. For your paint, if it has any swirls, swirlx is (i think) just right. Don't worry about not having a dual action polisher.. SwirlX is easiy to use.. Its actually kinda fun to use.

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
                      +1

Almost all new car paints are already contaminated. If you are on a budget, and wanted to get your NEW car protected right away, try getting Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

This is of course after washing your car. In this box, you have almost everything: clay to remove contaminants, quick detailer as lube, microfiber towel for wiping, and sample of CleanerWax.
                      I triple agree. One of my father in laws jobs is to transport Buicks and other GM's from different dealerships and these trips are hundreds of miles.

Some of the expensive ones NEED a wash before even starting the trip

and most already have swirls on top of it. He had this very expensive and highly optioned Arcadia that was soooo bad that me putting my finget on it and trying to move it (ever so gentle) stop dead, like I was trying to move my finger over a hot and sticky drag slick. I was quite appalled.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackScreaminMachine View Post
                        I triple agree. One of my father in laws jobs is to transport Buicks and other GM's from different dealerships and these trips are hundreds of miles.

Some of the expensive ones NEED a wash before even starting the trip

and most already have swirls on top of it. He had this very expensive and highly optioned Arcadia that was soooo bad that me putting my finget on it and trying to move it (ever so gentle) stop dead, like I was trying to move my finger over a hot and sticky drag slick. I was quite appalled.
                        On my way to Walmart to get the supplies.
                        I am wondering one thing. Some very experienced detailing guy on net suggest using DAWN dishwashing soap and dilute it to 1:100 for a deep clean wash, I know it shounds bad to use dawn, but I am wondering if I can do it like once a year or so to remove everything on the coat and then use regular car wash detergent afterward? My concerning is that, say if I use a car wash detergent (with wax in it, eg. Armor), won't the tiny amount to wax get in the way between the clear coat and M21, which causes M21 not be able to bind with the surface correctly and results in short lasting result? or sohuld I say nothing should go in between clear coat and paint sealant?
                        kinda confused

Comment

Since most washes with wax in them cost more, it is a bit of a waste to detail after using them... I keep 2 soaps around, one with wax and one without. If i use the one with wax, I dont follow up after with anything else.

As far as using Dawn once a year, no that would not hurt your car, but you would lose some of the lubrication that a good soap provides. When you get up into high quality soaps like Gold Class, etc, the cleaning is only a little of what they do. They provide a good amount of lubrication for the dirt/sponge/mitt to move around on, to try and prevent swirls, not just removing the dirt. Using Dawn would lose that extra protection.

The first response you got recommended a cleaner/wax then wax, and that would also help safely deal with any little dirt/wax left behind, leave some of its own wax, and be a good base for your Nxt, #21, etc.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks for all the info. Will wash the car and clay it this weekend. Hope I won't see dealer installed swirls.

Comment

Hope to see pics after you've detailed your car!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');