• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound by hand

I'm having trouble applying UC by hand. No matter how hard I try, each application doesn't seem to be making a difference. Any tips? I've thought about getting a DA but then I saw the price... I have a DA DeWalt sander that looks like you could use polishing pads on it, would that work?

Re: Ultimate Compound by hand

I used Swirlx and UC with great success by hand. Give this a read through: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums//sh...ad.php?t=43068
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Zach, the key to make paint cleaners work effectively with hand application is to work on really small area and apply some pressure (it's called elbow grease or passion application). If you concentrate on 16" by 16" surface you can make all corrections much better. And remember that improving defects means removing some paint around them therefore it's so hard to reach this goal by hand. Sometimes you need to re-apply the product again to get desired level.
      Of course dual action polisher would make a big difference. Machine application makes work faster, more effective and you can corrects much more serious defects. Would you consider to buy an used DA polisher on eBay, Amazon or Craigslist? Those machines are really safe, even for first time users, but make detailing jobs much more enjoyable.

Comment

Could you describe more about how you are applying it, what with, etc?

Any chance of pics?

What are you working on?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
          Zach, the key to make paint cleaners work effectively with hand application is to work on really small area and apply some pressure (it's called elbow grease or passion application). If you concentrate on 16" by 16" surface you can make all corrections much better. And remember that improving defects means removing some paint around them therefore it's so hard to reach this goal by hand. Sometimes you need to re-apply the product again to get desired level.
          Of course dual action polisher would make a big difference. Machine application makes work faster, more effective and you can corrects much more serious defects. Would you consider to buy an used DA polisher on eBay, Amazon or Craigslist? Those machines are really safe, even for first time users, but make detailing jobs much more enjoyable.
          Trust me, I put in plenty of elbow grease... my arm is sore!
          I would LOVE a DA polisher, but I can't find any that are affordable. I mean, $150 is a lot these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Could you describe more about how you are applying it, what with, etc?

Any chance of pics?

What are you working on?
            I'm working on a Red 1998 Ford Ranger pickup. The paint is quite oxidized, some portions look pink!
            I am applying Ultimate Compound with a Meg's purple foam applicator. I plan on topping that off with DC Polish #2 and NXT 2.0. I will post pictures soon. I'm trying to do a complete detail of it before winter.

Comment

Sometimes the foam applicator will not provide enough for the job. Try a test spot with a terry cloth towel. Use a lot of passion. (elbow grease).
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

You might be challenging the hard paint. As J.A. mentioned, try to step up from foam applicator to soft buff terry towel for more aggressiveness.

Comment

After about 3 applications by hand with a terry towel using lots of "passion". only some oxidation appears to be removed. I think I might just go ahead and buy a DA I found on Amazon from B&D for $30 :/

Comment

Here's a few pictures:

Before UC and clay (Notice the random leaf lol):
                    http://twitpic.com/35xgi1
                    Looks like paint overspray. No idea how that got there:
                    http://twitpic.com/35xfph
                    After UC and clay:
                    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BRENDO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]http://twitpic.com/35xgw0
                    You can't really see it, but there is alot of oxidation and swirls.

Comment

Zach, if you plan to buy an orbital buffer don't waste your money. Those machines are not good for paint correcting jobs (they are also called wax spreaders).

You really need a proper dual action polisher with variable speeds like Meguiar's G110, Porter Cable 7424 or Griot's Garage. You can't go wrong with any of these.

I know that with backing plate, pads and towels all together may become expensive but it's gonna make your work much easier and more enjoyable.

Comment

Hi Mates. New here. Im trying my luck with this old(er) thread.

I recently noticed the roof has wierd marks recently.
                        So I decided to get rid of it by using UC (applied using even coat applicator). However, whilst it brought back the paint's clarity, but the marks are still there. I've adjusted the contrast slightly so that it's easier to see the defects.

Is this a sign of clear coat failure? Either that or my clear coat is as hard as diamonds.

A background on my car and method.
                        Paint : 10 year old 2k Paint
                        Method : Washed, clayed, UC'd, Glazed, Waxed.

Comment

I think that you need stronger pressure and then use ultimate polish to high gloss finish.

Comment

Now im thinking of using meguiars ultimate compound on my 2010 Ford C-Max on the hood has alot of fine light scratches now is using this a bit harsh or it there something better that will remove the scratches ?? as some people say its harsh and others say its not some say its a paint cleaner and others say its a cutting compound now correct me if im wrong but a paint cleaner and a paint cutting compound are 2 different things. so what should I try ????

Comment

Using Megs even coat applicator good for UC, or should I stick with a hi tec applicator?

Thanks.

-J

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');