• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car, Read a Lot, A few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car, Read a Lot, A few Questions

Hi. Sorry I have something as boring as a new 2011 dark gray Ford Fiesta sedan in the 'S' trim.

I took that quiz on the meguiar site that recommends lots of stuff. I read many threads here and elsewhere. I get the idea of wash with 2 buckets and grit guard, dry, claybar with lube, cleaner/sealer, wax. That deals with the painted parts of the body.

Do I have to mask off the plastic/glass/rubber parts in any of these stages?

I see crud, as if it were maybe a wax in some crevices, including in some of the rubber/plastic trim. How should I get that out? Actually, the plastic/rubber trim, such as around the windows doesn't look totally clean and needs some help. As I clean that stuff, what should I use, and do I have to mask of the nearby paint?

So far, all I've done is clean inside with IQD and MF. It looks pretty good.

Any thoughts?

Re: New Car, Read a Lot, A few Questions

Hi Grady,

I found this link for you to answer your concerns:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...time-ugly.html.

Comment

You do not need to tape off the trim if you don't want to. That is usually only done when doing paint correction,

To get the wax out you could use some APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and a towel, q-tips etc. It may take a good deal of rubbing to completely remove the wax.

For dressing the trim, I would go with Ultimate Protectant. Make sure though to thoroughly clean the surface with APC in order to remove any dirt, previous dressing, etc. Ultimate Protectant needs a clean surace to properly bond (similar to a wax to paint) with the trim.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I checked out the taping thread. Maybe it would be worthwhile since I gather that someone did a wax job on this new car and got it onto the rubber, which looks bad (even to me, as I have not detailed cars before, but am just getting started).

I can at least get started slowly right now, ordering 2 grit guards now, then can wash and APC, then get ready for clay/cleaner/sealer/wax. Whatever I do now before winter will be hand-done, not DA. Is there a wax that does the job but is less arm work?

Comment

Wax shouldnt need worked in much.

If you want to do simple, you can do a wash/clay/ColorX/Wax.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');