Which LSP is better for light colors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which LSP is better for light colors?

Hi everybody,

I have a silver and a white car. I was thinking on increase my stock of Meguiars LSP (couple of tins of #16).

I read a lot that NXT and #26 are awesome for dark color cars.

I want to know your opinion about the best choice on LSP for light color cars.

Thank you for your responses.

NXT will do even good as on dark coloured cars...(can you post some nice pics of them maybe?)

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Which LSP is better for light colors?

Or another way of asking this question would be...

"Is it true that some polishes or waxes are better for dark colors, like Red and Black, while
    other polishes and waxes are better for light colors like Silver and White?"

Originally posted by Cipitio
    Hi everybody,

I have a silver and a white car. I was thinking on increase my stock of Meguiar's LSP (couple of tins of #16).

I read a lot that NXT and #26 are awesome for dark color cars.

I want to know your opinion about the best choice on LSP for light color cars.

Thank you for your responses.
    Hi Cipitio,

Here's the deal,

First of all, 99% of all cars being manufactured today have a clear coat, so keep in mind, most people are not working on a pigmented paint, but on clear paint. Clear paint is simply resin without color.

That said, if a car wax, or polish will make a dark or black colored paint look great, it's also making a light colored finish look great too it's just your eyes can't see the difference. This is why the best test for a product is always on dark colors and black paint specifically. The true results of a product are going to be the most apparent on black paint, whether its a single-stage finish or a clear coated finish.

The color that is the least efficient at demonstrating a difference is white paint, whether it's a single-stage, or a clear coated finish. This is why Meguiar's performs all of their testing on black paint.

What you see discussed on forums and elsewhere on the topic of some waxes being better on light colors and some waxes being better on dark colors is simply confusion.

You'll often read where someone will say,

"Brand X is great on light colors",

what is implied is that brand X doesn't make dark colors look good. If a wax or polish can't make a dark color look good, it isn't making a light color look good, your eyes just can't evaluate the difference.

The best waxes for appearance quality makes all colors look good and you can know this by whether or not the wax makes dark colors look good.

Think about it for a second, if you have two identical cars, for example two Honda Accura's. One is white with a clear coat finish and the other is black with a clear coat finish, if a wax makes the black Accura look great, knowing you're working on the same kind of paint, (a clear coat), it's reasonable to assume that it's going to make the white Accura look great, it's just you're eyes won't perceive the difference as easily as they would with the black Accura.

Conversely, if a wax doesn't make the black Accura look good, it's reasonable to assume it's not going to make the white Accura look good for the same reasons outlined above.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Thanks Mike for your very informative response.

Registered Member
    I have a white and a medium blue car. NXT looks great on them both.

My best gauge for how my car looks is to park it at a mall or at a gas station that is well lit up-at nite obviously. The car will have that "dazzle" to it under the lights. The blue one and the white one almost glow with NXT

My blue one is outside 24/7 also, and gets washed on sat. or sundays. NXT has been beading like crazy for 4 weeks now on it. I honestly havnt noticed any difference at all in the appearance or the beading in these 4 weeks either.

I dont know how many applications are supposed to be in the bottles of a liquid wax, but i have applied NXT to somewhere around 10+ vehicles so far, and only half the bottle is gone.

I put it on so thin that it really only looks like a streak. Lots of streaks I dont really get the haze when it dries either. It is translucent the whole time.

4 weeks and still going strong with 2 coats

Registered Member
    Pinnacle Paste Glaz, Poorboy's Natty's, Pinnacle Signature Series.
    My Home Page
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Alpine CDM-9803, Alpine MRP-F306, Crossfire TEK 35.2, Front Stage: Stock Speakers, JL Audio 10W3D2

Registered Member
    I would highly recommend using NXT Tech Wax as a Last Step Product for light colors. I would also make the same recommendation for all colors.
    FRANK CANNA
    Mirror Finish Detailing
    23rd Year 1986-2009

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Originally posted by John Styrnol
    Pinnacle Paste Glaz, Poorboy's Natty's, Pinnacle Signature Series.
    These waxes all look good on dark colors, they add richness and clariy, like Meguiar's waxes, so by default they will look good on any color including light colors.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Ideally #80 will really bring out the depth and give the paint a light cleaning, best used with PC or Rotary. Then top with #20 or #26 or NXT all these will bring back up the shine and gloss that #80 gives. #26 seems to get missed in all the hoopla of the new waxes but is still one of my favorites due to shine and ease of use and you can apply several coats.
    "Washing for the People"

Registered Member
    Hi sorry to bring this thread back up again. I have read from some other forums that for silver car it is not advisable to use products that will darken the paint. If the polish or LSP darken the silver paint than it will not look as shiny, does this make sense ? In fact I am thinking of using #80 follow by NXT than top with #16, what do you guys think or is there a better combination? My customer is asking me to put a good shine on his silver car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information