• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a car cover protect my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a car cover protect my car?

Hi guys, i bought a Ford Focus 6 months ago and I dont have room to store it , it stays under the sunlight the entire day

I noticed the heat from the sun is starting to slowly damage some interior details/trim.....so i must act fast before it start looking ugly

Will a good car cover protect my car from the extreme heat? Will it damage my paint? (its a foam lined cover so it wont scratch it, but maybe damage it in any other way?)

Thanks

Re: Will a car cover protect my car?

Car covers usually help, best to start with a clean and fully protected (wax outside and UV inside) car, and the two enemies are wind and water. Wind can whip the cover, and water under the cover is worse than no cover.

Comment

No problem, theres not much wind where the car is, and the cover i bought is high quality, water will not be able to get through it

When they deliver my cover, i will post here about the results

Comment

Just make sure to treat the interior and thoroughly clean and wax the exterior before putting the cover on. Also be sure the cover is tightly secured without play that could flap around.

Comment

Check out some of the CoverCraft models, they are nice for both inside and outside storage. I believe there are a couple MOL'ers who use the NOAH car cover for exterior storage. Also, they are designed to form fit your car and keeps things from blowing in the wind.
          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Colonel at the time you mentioed about covercraft i had already bought the cover, its a domestic brand (from Brazil) looks high quality

I just installed it some minutes ago....i left the windows 2 inches open to help with ventilation, is that right? Thanks

Comment

I leave the windows up. I'd rather put some of that anti-moisture stuff in the car. They sell little tubs of it to put in boats while they are covered up.

Comment

I noticed the cover is scratching my car on the edges....what can i do to make the thing sit still? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperX View Post
                  I noticed the cover is scratching my car on the edges....what can i do to make the thing sit still? Thanks
                  I'd get a good coat of wax on the paint to help buffer things. Also, if it's a car cover that has holes at the bottom sides they make cables that will run through to prevent theft of the cover. This may minimize movement.
                  Rick McDonough
                  Customer Engagement - Digital Content Editor
                  Meguiar's Inc.
                  1.800.854.8073 * 3853
                  rmcdonough@meguiars.com

Comment

I see, i took a better look, now i think the scratches were already there

Anyway it has the security cable and i installed it now... should be better

Comment

BTW my car's paint is looking lame

In which section could I create a topic with pictures of the damage done to the painting with the years, so I will be able to better recover it?

Comment

Detailing 101...

If you are unsure about any detailing questions, anything, Detailing 101.
                        Doesn't have to do with detailing? Break Room.

Other than those two, there are sections for specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperX View Post

No problem, theres not much wind where the car is...

Taking the cover on & off can have adverse effects. You drive the car, it picks up dirt/debris, you then put the cover on the car, and dirt may possibly instill swirls/scratches. Then you have to remove it again to drive the car...

If you are storing the vehicle inside of a garage, or somewhere sheltered from the wind for longterm, a car cover will work just fine.

If it's a daily driver....

Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Taking the cover on & off can have adverse effects. You drive the car, it picks up dirt/debris, you then put the cover on the car, and dirt may possibly instill swirls/scratches. Then you have to remove it again to drive the car...

If you are storing the vehicle inside of a garage, or somewhere sheltered from the wind for longterm, a car cover will work just fine.

If it's a daily driver....

Just sayin

Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Its a daily driver.....but what should i do? The garage is not covered and the sun was destroying the interior

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');