• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish eyeglasses with meguiars products? *Pic*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish eyeglasses with meguiars products? *Pic*

Hey guys this is my first post, the first thing I'd like to say is that I'm very pleased with all meguiar's products. Now that said, I love to use their products for things they are not intended to, that includes polishing a big variety of materials.

Last night, I realized my eyeglasses were so badly scratched that the scratches woudln't let me read comfortably on tv at night. So, I ran to the garage and took all bottles of polishes, (brasso, plastx, mothers chrome polish, etc).

I started rubbing them with the most abrasive product, which is the new brasso (creamy formula), it ***** btw. I got rid of some scratches, mothers chrome polish seemed to be milder so I tried it and got rid of smaller scratches, but after those products, my eyeglasses were covered with swirl marks!

After that, I tried Deep Crystal Polish and then Scratch X, but swirl marks were still there, so the last thing I used was PlastX, which helped a little.

But after rubbing so much going from the most abrasive to the mildest product, I'm not happy with the results.

Pic AFTER polishing

Before doing all this, I tried the products on my cell phone screen, getting the same results.

Is there any sequence I should go with for better results???
    BTW I believe the material is polycarbonate

I currently have these products.

Brasso creamy formula
    Mothers Chrome Polish
    Gel Gloss (fiberglass, marble, acrylic, chrome) cleaner and polish
    3 Stage Meguiars Deep Crystal system
    PlastX
    ScratchX
    Cheap 'walmart brand' polishes and waxes
    Dremel

Thank you

Re: Polish eyeglasses with meguiars products? *Pic*

I would look at some more PlastX. Kind of spreading a thin layer across, working it in till it starts getting clear, then lightening up to finish.

Also, what were you applying with?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've done plastic watch crystals and reading glasses with M1708 Plastic Cleaner. Never used the PlastX, but I believe it's similar The watch crystals were pretty badly scratched, so I used some Ultimate Compound first. They came out flawless...I've had the best luck using 100% cotton terry toweling and rubbing really hard. You might try this by hand...the Dremel should work with the felt bobs though. Don't give up!

Comment

I've used a combo of M1008 and M1708 on my shield from my fire helmet. Cleared up the soot coverd shield nicely and elimiinated some severe scratches.

Comment

I dropped a pair of Raybans that got subsequently scratched. I tried polishing the scratch out to no avail. The lense's are glass.

Comment

I would go with the plastic cleaner #17 and polish #10. That should work for you.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Sorry guys for taking so long, after many tries it seems that neither PlastX nor ScratchX are mild enough to get rid of these tiny swirls, they removed deeper scratches but not the ones shown in the pic.

I went today to check prices on new lenses, so that was it, I give up with the polishing...

BTW somewhere in this site I read that ScratchX (1.0) was the least abrasive product from meguiars, but still I believe I was asking too much from these products to remove such small swirls...

Thank you guys for your opinions/suggestions

Comment

DO NOT use normal cloths to clean eyeglasses, especially the plastic glasses. You actually scratch the eyeglasses quite a bit. The micro cloths are much better though you still have to wash them and keep them clean.
                Also the micro cloths get your glasses a lot cleaner than using paper towels/cotton cloth etc

eyeglasses
                C

Comment

DO NOT use normal cloths to clean eyeglasses, especially the plastic glasses. You actually scratch the eyeglasses quite a bit. The micro cloths are much better though you still have to wash them and keep them clean. Also the micro cloths get your glasses a lot cleaner than using paper towels/cotton cloth etc
                  Last edited by Andy M.; Jul 3, 2011, 11:23 AM. Reason: no clickable links before thirty posts see forum rules.
                  C

Comment

I've used m105 to polish plastic with good results, but err on caution first!

Some glasses has a coating on it that can go away using a harsh product so be careful!

I use my finger as an applicator and MF towel to remove. I have the scratch "resistant" coating, which doesn't resist anything really.....Hopefully it will help with shrapnel with shooting my duty gun at range, as my eyes are getting too old to focus on front site anymore these days.....
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Next time you should start with the LEAST abrasive product and work your way up.

Comment

This may help:

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products

Meguiar's Clear Plastic Products
                        Here is the complete collection of products Meguiar's offers for working with clear plastics both by hand and machine.

G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish
                        This easy-to-use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar’s® exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive™ Technology (MDAT) remove light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. Special highly water resistant polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. We recommend applying PlastX with a High Tech Applicator Pad or Ultra Plush Super Terry and using an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine® Microfiber for the final wipe-off.

M1008 Clear Plastic Polish
                        Clear Plastic Polish safely restores optic clarity to all clear plastics. Provides a static-free coating that repels dust. Safe and effective on both acrylic and polycarbonate surfaces. Ideal for boats, RV's, cars, motorcycles and aircraft.

M1708 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner
                        Clear Plastic Cleaner removes fine hairline scratches from all types of clear plastic. Unique, non-abrasive formula prepares the surface for Mirror Glaze® Clear Plastic Polish. Perfect cleaner for computer screens, convertible windows, helmet visors, motorcycle windscreens, displays and instrument panels.

M1808 Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer®
                        Clear Plastic Detailer® is a quick spray and wipe product for all types of clear plastics from CD’s to convertible windows. Non-abrasive formula removes smudges and residue without scratching. Restores and maintains optic clarity. Anti-static/non-crazing formula. Ideally suited for use with a Meguiar’s Professional Ultimate Wipe® Detailing Cloth (M9910).

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...39&postcount=1 :

Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                        by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');