• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl marks on interior wood trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl marks on interior wood trim

I have some fine swirl marks on my interior wood trim. You can only see them in bright light, but I'd like to polish them out. Anyone know how to knock out these fine swirls in interior wood that is coated in plastic?

2011 335i M Sport Coupe
    2011 535i Sport
    2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Re: Swirl marks on interior wood trim

First you need to find out if it is plastic or real wood. If it is real wood, it may be coated with a laquer or some other type of protective coating. This will determine how you go about removing the swirls.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
      First you need to find out if it is plastic or real wood. If it is real wood, it may be coated with a laquer or some other type of protective coating. This will determine how you go about removing the swirls.

Colin
      It's a 70k BMW, it's real wood, coated with some plastic or lacquer.
      2011 335i M Sport Coupe
      2011 535i Sport
      2009 Genesis Sedan 4.6

Comment

I believe it's most likely coated with lacquer. I've actually got the same issue on my car, but it seems to do any good, it's quite necessary to remove the panel, or just tape everything off so you don't get any product on your other trim. From what I've heard, some people have had luck with ordinary polish. Of course, it matters what the wood is coated with.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');