• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate compound problems :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate compound problems :/

I am currently detailing my car, and after being clayed i started using UC and swirlX on it. Swirl X goes on and comes off perfectly, but UC doesnt. After working it in for about ten seconds it turns into an odd texture, kind of oily and transparent. It is also hard to take off... I am working by hand by the way... what do you think is wrong?

Re: Ultimate compound problems :/

Is the surface you are working on cool? If it is hot, it may make it hard to remove. UC should be somewhat oily and transparent as you spread it out along the area you are working in. How hard is it to take off? Is it hard to wipe off because it is drying on you, or is it another reason?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

i was actually going to ask the same question, today i was using uc and had the same problem. it was a cool day but in the sun, the car was hot, i put the car in the garage and let cool for 2 hrs, then washed it and tried it but it was really really hard to wipe off. i was using a polisher but thought something was actually wrong with the pad so i used hand applicator pads and it did the same thing, do i need to just keep working it in? or what am i doing wrong? how do u guys apply uc and wipe it off. this was my first time using this by the way

Comment

i done it before by hand so i reall dont see wat the problem is unless its drying on u
        Don't get so caught up making a living that you forget to make a life.

Comment

Was it drying on you and is that why it was hard to wipe off? You can always give a quick spritz of quick detailer to ease the removal process.

Comment

at 1st i tried to wipe off and it was really hard to wipe off so i thought oh maybe i should let it dry a few minutes so i waited like 2 minutes and it was just as hard to get off. just like the op said oily and transparent. im using a lot of force but its not coming off. i also thought maybe with quick detailer, maybe it will help, and it did somewhat but it still left behind uc

Comment

Ok well you shouldn't let it dry. Perhaps you were not using enough product and when you spread the product out and worked it in, then the product dried out. Never let polishes and compounds dry. How big of an area are you working at a time and how many passes?

Comment

i worked an area the size of a small towel just like mike taught me i thought i was actually using too much product because it looked like a lot at first (i did a x of product on the pad) i think i did a 2 or 3 passes and the product seemed to be worked in but then when i tried to wipe off, it just wouldn't come off. maybe tomorrow i can try again and make a video

Comment

Originally posted by BMW-5 View Post
                  I am currently detailing my car, and after being clayed i started using UC and swirlX on it. Swirl X goes on and comes off perfectly, but UC doesnt. After working it in for about ten seconds it turns into an odd texture, kind of oily and transparent. It is also hard to take off... I am working by hand by the way... what do you think is wrong?
                  As you work it in, UC will slowly become less visible. This is perfectly normal. You want to keep working it until it's virtualy invisible, but don't let it dry.

How big an area are you working with? By hand, aim for about a 0.5m x 0.5m area at a time - you'll most likely get better results working in smaller areas at a time. You should be able to work it in for about a good minute or so before removing (even longer if you can see it can still be worked around).

UC itself should be pretty easy to remove - not as easy as SwirlX, but it should come off pretty quickly. What towels are you using? Remember sometimes its better to move the towel slowly over the surface - give it a chance to pick everything up off the paint. Add a little more pressure and be deliberately slow in your movement.

Also, use SwirlX as a follow up to UC - not the other way around.

Comment

This is my first post... I am new to detailing and I have also have some questions about UC. I have been waxing by hand and decided to go with a DA. I have a lot of swirls and scratches on my 09 GMC. I tried swirl x with the DA and it worked ok but it left behind some of the swirls. I read someone on the forum to start light and move up in abrasiveness. I picked up some UC today but after reading a few horror stories I am afraid to use it now. I plan to wash, clay, UC, and then wax with #26. Would anyone give advice on the proper way to use UC without marring the finish or adding hours to the job in removal time? Thanks in advance.fficeffice" />

Comment

Originally posted by eddieh View Post
                      This is my first post... I am new to detailing and I have also have some questions about UC. I have been waxing by hand and decided to go with a DA. I have a lot of swirls and scratches on my 09 GMC. I tried swirl x with the DA and it worked ok but it left behind some of the swirls. I read someone on the forum to start light and move up in abrasiveness. I picked up some UC today but after reading a few horror stories I am afraid to use it now. I plan to wash, clay, UC, and then wax with #26. Would anyone give advice on the proper way to use UC without marring the finish or adding hours to the job in removal time? Thanks in advance.fficeffice" />
                      What pad will you be using with the UC?

You'll be fine. Just squeeze a small amount of UC onto the pad, spread the product over your working area before turning machine on, then turn on at low speed to further spread product evenly, then turn speed up to 5 to work it in. Move slowly (approx 10cm every 3 sec) and overlap your passes by 50% each time to ensure even coverage.

Work the UC until it's practically transparent. Removal is very straightforward, just buff it off with a MF towel - you may need to apply slight pressure, but nothing too extreme. It's a very forgiving product yet it can remove quite heavy defects!

If SwirlX didn't get everything, then UC is your next step. UC may leave behind some marring of its own if you're using a heavy cutting pad and/or working on soft paint. Follow this up with your SwirlX to refine the finish and remove any marks left by the UC! Let us know how you go!

Comment

Thanks, i will be using a Meguiars soft foam yellow polish pad. I will definitely start in a small inconspicuous area first. I am afraid of using UC because of a post i read "Ultimate compound ruined my car". But the swirl x left some small swirls/scratches behind even though i used it for two passes. Also, would UC work to remove water spots from windshields? I have been using Glass Scrub from Glass Science with no good results.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieh View Post
                          What is the brand and model of your DA? What kind of pads do you have? We need this info before giving you reliable advice.

Ultimate Compound is a wonderful product and very user-friendly. You should work a small section at a time (say, 18"x18") and then wipe-off immediately with a microfiber towel. It won't take long before you get the hang of it.

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO A TEST SPOT FIRST! The test spot allows you to determine whether your chosen polish is right for your particular paint system. It also allows you to refine your technique. Only proceed to polish out the rest of the car after you have successfully polished your test spot. The disasters people sometimes have with UC (or M105 or whatever) occur because they did not do a test spot first.
                          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

Please read the 1000's of positive UC posts. Or just read Al or Dave's again. Sound advice about the very successful use of an excellent product. Do a test spot, get a satisfactory result, then move on to the rest of the car.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            David

Comment

I use a Shurhold DA, It does a great job for waxing and has plenty of power. I only have three pads right now, two Meguiars yellow polish pads and one mirror glaze finishing pad. I used a yellow pad to apply swirl x and the finishing pad for #26. I like the look of #26 better then NXT. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');