• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this be repaired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be repaired?

I have a customer that would like me to do some touch-up repair on his cars. I have had success touching up rock chips and such before, but this is quite a bit worse than that.

It is on the front bumper of the car, the paint is crinkled and even flaking off in a couple spots. Do you guys think this can be repaired by a touch-up job? Should I even attempt it?

Before I do anything I am going to explain to him that if I can't fix it then it will have to be re-painted. Here are some pics of the spot I am worried about.

Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
    Guard: And your name is...?
    Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Re: Can this be repaired?

I wouldnt attempt that.

I work at a body shop, and the work those guys go through to fix issues very similar to that is pretty involved.

You'd have to stand it before you painted it, and I dont know about you, but I wouldnt want that much touch up paint in one spot on my vehicles, it'd be pretty obvious in my opinion.

Someone else may have some useful advice. Sorry.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure I would have to sand it down. I'm leaning toward turning this down, I think its a little too much to do with touch-up paint.
      Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
      Guard: And your name is...?
      Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Comment

I wouldn't attempt to fix it with touch up paint, given the hair line cracks through out the paint I'd most likely sand the whole area to repaint.

The bumper also appears to be plastic, which could be cracked under the paint if the damage was caused by hitting something meaning it would need to be repaired or replaced.

I would consider that a body shop repair not a detail touch up for small scratches or chips.

Comment

I must agree with the guys.

It's too much going on, area is too big for a touch-up and it's plastic. It looks like a challenge for a body shop. They usually remove the bumper, sand it down and respray to make it look like nothing happened.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');