• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peeling paint after impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeling paint after impact

@The fender
    Some paint peels off the edge of the fender (beyond the wheel). Anything that I can do? (I never did any body work before, so must be sth easy... Please, no $200 body shop bill ...) Thanks!

@bumper
    I suppose this is acceptable to me as no paint seems to peel off and it shouldn't rust at least for a year or two, right?

Thanks a lot!
    Yes, some easy approaches exist with some cheap (<$100) supplies
    20.00%
    No, too complicated, either leave it as is or pay >$200 to a body shop for sanding/painting.
    80.00%

Re: Peeling paint after impact

Originally posted by thisgreatworld View Post

@The fender
    Some paint peels off the edge of the fender (beyond the wheel). Anything that I can do? (I never did any body work before, so must be sth easy... Please, no $200 body shop bill ...) Thanks!

@bumper
    I suppose this is acceptable to me as no paint seems to peel off and it shouldn't rust at least for a year or two, right?

Thanks a lot!
    The fender- being OCD, the proper way to do it is body work with a BC/CC paint job. If you don't care too much, I suppose you could rattle can it.

The bumper- is that thing even metal? If it is, which I don't think so, waiting until it rusts is the completely wrong way to go about it. Rust is cancer. Once it gets going...don't wait.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input and sorry for the other two identical posts (replied as 'double' and 'triple'). I was not good at this forum yet. Could a moderator remove the other two posts for me? Thanks!

The bumper is not metal, so probably won't have to worry about it too much. Can I leave the shape of the fender as is while do sth to prevent rust? What supplies shall I invest in exactly? If it's not too much to ask for, could somebody point me to some simple instruction that is supposed for a complete newbie ....

Something along the line...:
      step 1: buy XXX1 (approx $30), do ??? with XXX1
      step 2: buy XXX2 (approx $20), do ??? with XXX2
      (of coz get all the XXX1 XXX2 before hand at Walmart or Autozone)

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input and sorry for the other two identical posts (replied as 'double' and 'triple'). I was not good at this forum yet. Could a moderator remove the other two posts for me? Thanks!
        No worries, we deleted the other 2 posts for you

Welcome to MOL !
        Mike Pennington
        Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
        Meguiar's, Inc.
        800-854-8073
        mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

I won't attempt body work myself, so I'll leave that for someone else to go into. However, since the bumper is not metal, it will not rust (only ferrous metal rusts). Fixing the paint on the front bumper is your call. Fix the fender first and sooner than later.

...and yes, Welcome to MOL!

Comment

One already much rust, the other with similar risk now?
            What can I do by myself to prevent it?

Comment

Here is a previous exposure I didn't deal with --- too bad, it rusts a lot. Will it help (prevent further rust) if I put some touch up or Dr ColorChip?

This is the peeled off paint. I can see the naked metal here. Will touch up/Dr ColorChip help ?

I saw the previous owner used some touch-ups on the plastic bumper -- looks very bad. Will Dr ColorChip or sth else help the situation?

I'm really not looking to spend over $100 for such issues, so it seems the most reasonable option is to get something that is cheap and more or less works and spend an hour or so on it myself. Does that sound a reasonable expectation?

Thanks.

Comment

Well, to stop rust, you have to clean it off/out first. Hopefully, it is just surface rust at this point. If so, you'll need to clean the rust off and the area around it. You can then apply a rust inhibitor coating to it; they are usually a white or gray primer color. You should be able to find some at a hardware store; paint and body stores (PBE) should have it as well. Follow the directions on the can. After this coating has dried and cured, you can apply a color coat followed by a clear coat. All things you can get at a PBE store.

If it has gone into the panel, the best option will be professional work IMO.
                Again, I'm not experienced in this area, but I think I have an understanding of these basics. No one has corrected me thus far, so, I guess I'm doing all right, lol.

As for the previous touch up paint, I do not know the best method for removing it. Hopefully someone else can give you a rundown for that.

Comment

Thanks, roushstage2 -- for the detailed advice.
                  Since I haven't done similar work before and don't have the supplies, do you think it would be a good idea to go with the Dr ColorChip stuff --- supposed to be easy, but I'm not sure it applies when it comes to naked metal. One benefit, as I understand, is that the kit comes with some chemical that blends the new paintcolor into the old color ---- therefore no much sanding/repainting required?

Comment

I think that if you sand te metal so there no rust left. Leave the metal sanded so it will grap with the paint to stop the rust, then the base coat then coor coat and finally clear coat. Just do a few layers of each coat and several layer of clear coat and sand it, polish it and thats it. Not is very dificult. i want to do this in some chips in the car, will look better than only paint a chip with a brush

Comment

Thanks, roushstage2 -- for the detailed advice.
                      Since I haven't done similar work before and don't have the supplies, do you think it would be a good idea to go with the Dr ColorChip stuff --- supposed to be easy, but I'm not sure it applies when it comes to naked metal. One benefit, as I understand, is that the kit comes with some chemical that blends the new paintcolor into the old color ---- therefore no much sanding/repainting required?
                      I have heard good things about the Dr Colorchip products, but you'll still need something like a fiberglass pen to remove the rust. Apply a primer, let cure and then use the kit following it's directions. If it works for you, then you just saved a bunch of money. If it doesn't work, well, you are in the same spot as now.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');